Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Slingerland Clam Shell

Happy New Year guys!

I’m beginning a restoration of a Slingerland 7x14 Cloud Badge Radio King snare from the 40’s. The WMP is pretty rough in spots. It came with lugs and rims but is missing the strainer, throw off and butt. I’ve identified the holes as fitting a clam shell setup. So my question is…how difficult are these to find and assuming I do, what will it set me back? This is new territory for me.

Thanks for your thoughts.

60's Gretsch Round Badge 22/13/16
'71 Ludwig B/O Badge 20/12/13/14/16
'72 Ludwig B/O Badge Jazzette 18/12/14
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Posted on 12 years ago

I see the strainer and butt sold separately most times on eBay.

About once every month or two or longer....

I'd venture $50 or so for the butt end, maybe more, and $75 to $125 for the strainer side... The strainer side especially I see incomplete most times.... missing the arm or the retaining bar for the metal strap snare wires, I would ask about the bar especially, it's tough to see in seller's pictures sometimes whether it is there or not.

I'd put up a Wanted thread here, and DFO and PressRoll and keep my fingers crossed......

Set up a saved search on eBay as well.

Good luck on your hunt man, be patient and it will happen for you.

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

Great advice and encouraging feedback, Kevins. Patience is the key. Thanks!

Posted on 12 years ago

Happy New Year guys!I’m beginning a restoration of a Slingerland 7x14 Cloud Badge Radio King snare from the 40’s. The WMP is pretty rough in spots. It came with lugs and rims but is missing the strainer, throw off and butt. I’ve identified the holes as fitting a clam shell setup. So my question is…how difficult are these to find and assuming I do, what will it set me back? This is new territory for me.Thanks for your thoughts.

These strainers are hard to fine sometime's..I have a set of these in chrome both have the bar across to hold the snare wire..But both are missing the mounting screws,handle,ete..Other words these are just the shell of the strainer's but the chrome is very nice condition...65.00 shipped for both...Email is the best..Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Mikey...PM sent. Thanks.

Posted on 12 years ago

Although these places don't sell complete Clam shell strainers, they are a good resource:

1. Replacement lever - I just got one and it is great

http://www.drumatix.com/lf-hw-10.html

2. Replacement parts

http://www.jp2creations.com/Radio_King_Strainer.htm

1 attachments
107.6 kB
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here