Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Slingerland Capri Pearls

These beauties are 20"bass drum, 12" rack, 14" floor and 14 x5 snare radio king 3pt strainer. They are very late 1959 or early 1960.

1 attachments
149.9 kB
Posted on 10 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had to wait for the "drooling" to stop. What a stunning kit! I MUST HAVE THEM!!!! Do I win a prize or anything for being the first one to comment on this beauty (lol)? I'd love to hear the history behind these -- when and where did you find them; are they a "born together" kit"; any other little tidbits, etc.. THANKS so much for sharing!

Posted on 10 years ago

wow !! this is a real looker !!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

I love that wrap! Nice.Bowing

Posted on 10 years ago

Hi OldSchool,

Lol....

Thanks so much, now I'm glad I spent all that time taking them apart and cleaning them!!

Here is the condensed version of how I found these.

I was on vacation a couple of years ago in upstate NY and walked into an antique store. I got halfway down the isle and that's when I saw these drums just laying on the floor. I had no idea when they were made or even if they were worth anything, but one thing I did realize was that they were very old. They were on consignment so I bought them. I did research and found out they were late 59 early 1960, leaning more towards early 60. The bass drum hoop was split and I had that repaired also the snare did not have the correct strainer on it, I replaced it with a 3 pt strainer that should have been on it so now I have one small hole which can be plugged up. The wrap is almost perfect and tight on all drums.

These drums are not for sale but I do know someone selling both a 12 & 13" slingerland capri pearl tom if anyone is trying to put a set together, pix's are available. visit:www.NYMusiciansSwapMeet.com and click on facebook.

Thanks

Posted on 10 years ago

Great story on those and excellent job fixing them up. Looks minty fresh. Thanks for the FB info too. I'm in CT and will head to that swap meet this March. Cool1

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

I got the exact same kit around 20 + years ago out of a Wanted To Buy Drums/Cymbal ad I used to run 7 days a week in the local paper......

Wanna say I paid $400-450 for them...with Zildjians and stands...bought from original owners wife!

Sold the kit,sans snare, within 1-2 days to a collector in England...held onto the snare for a long time...then sold it...

Rare,Rare,Rare!.....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

Hi blairndrums,

Looking back, do you wish you had kept them? Also did you know at that time what you had possession of?

Posted on 10 years ago

Yeah,wish I had kept them,along with all the other rare drums I have had pass through my hands over the years...but...would need a big barn to keep them in,with a burglar alarm and heating system....

Would get very expensive....

And yes,I knew they were rare when I got them...but no one knew just how rare they were back then...no Interweb to search with......

I am not much of a Slinger fan though,even though my first 2 pro kits were BDP RK sets...first in 1968....second in around 1969 or 70.....

The 60's-70's kits just seem cheap to me for some reason....aluminum used for BD spurs and floor Tom brackets...that almost always strip out......ZOOMATIC knobs that fall off the snare.....tension rods that never seem to turn too easily...maybe because of the cheap inserts in the lugs that corrode...etc.....

There is even a video on Youtube Of Buddy playing a Sling kit onstage,and 1 of the BD spurs gives out,and his BD and Tom about topples over as he is playing!

I know ALL the major brands had design problems,but they still just seem cheap to me..

Maybe that's why they are on the bottom of the totem pole for selling American made drums?

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

blairndrums

I would love to get my hands on a late 60's BDP Slingy 5pc set!! By the way, what does RK stand for? I have an idea!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here