Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Slingerland Capri Pearl Drums

I just got a Slingerland 22" bass with the black & brass Chicago badge and a 13" tom that appear to be part of a set originally. I am trying to figure out if this would have originally come with a 16" floor tom and a matching snare drum. This was bought through a vintage dealer and I was under the impression that it was a Mardi Gras finish. But when the drums arrived today I found out it was Capri.. The drums look like they are in immaculate condition and the wrap looks fanatastic to me. They look brand new.

The stamps inside the drums are P-040 along with some other numbers above the stamp. And separately there is a date stamp which reads Dec 9 & Dec 11, but the year is hard to tell - from my high resolution photo it looks like 1958. The numbers above the P-040 stamp look like 6551 833? ---I am not sure. Both the P040 and the other numbers are stamped together in light gray ink in both drums. The date stamps are separate in black ink.

The Bass drum has a rail consolette with 2 holes, it also has a shell cymbal mount. The tom has no badge or vent hole.

Here are my questions for the forum--

What do the numbers above the P-040 represent?

What is the kind of set that these drums were originally a part of?

(would there be a 16" floor tom & matching snare)

What are the chances of getting those pieces to complete the set?

Are these drums as valuable as if they were in Mardi Gras?

Can anyone help me with these questions?

Thanks MikeJtone

Posted on 17 years ago

P-040 is just stamped there because that was the finish number I believe.

It would be very hard to find a matching floor tom or snare but it could be done.

As for value Im not sure. DrCJW should provide a more in depth answer for you.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Well, the Mardi Gras are harder to find and a Carpi floor tom and other drums just sold on Ebay, if I remember correctly.

You will see this finish more then Mardi Gras, that is for sure.

The only reason I can say this is I have a Capri Radio King (3-ply) and I know of a Capri Radio King (Single Ply)(Second Drum Down)

The only thing with this finish is I have seen a wide variance of color changes. Very similar to matching WMP.

Some times there is more purple to the finish and more dense pattern to the finish.

My snare is added as an attachment and the other Radio King can probably be purchased and I can't say who has it at the moment, but I have handled it and can possibly swing a deal, but not 100% certain. We can communicate via PM when you decide on these drums.

David

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

You can see the density on yours compared to mine and also mine has a slight purple hue. I have noticed this on these drums.

The only reason I know about Capri is I was looking for a complete set at one time and never found one that was close enough to the color of my snare. Then, when I stopped looking they came out of the wood work.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

David,Thanks I want to follow up.

The drums are definitely black background with white pearl spots that reflect aqua, pink, green, blue & the gold strings throughout. It is quite nice to look at. I have added a few shots to give better appraisal of the wrap. I will follow up on the PM.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi..it is very likely that your set came without a floor tom, although it probably had the matching snare. I had that exact set, with that version of Capri. It came to me in near mint condition. I kept the snare, and I found, and later sold, another snare in that pattern capri. It took me a few tries, and ab bunch of $, but I eventually found a 16" floor tom that was a perfect match. (The set is gone, but I still have the snare.) Webmaster is correct...there are at least 3 different versions of Capri...the one you have, one with the same size "sprinkes", but with a purplish hue, and one version with large sprinkles. Here's a photo of the large version...this one looks purplish, so maybe there's 4 types! Good luck, and congrats on getting some cool Slingerland stuff!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1966-3-Piece-Slingerland-Drum-set-capri-pearl_W0QQitemZ300038375902QQihZ020QQcategoryZ64442QQcmdZViewItem

Posted on 17 years ago

Rich K.,

Can you post a picture of the snare. I am going to buy the closest match to these drums eventually...the drums really look cool and I want to keep them even though they are not what I thought they would be. The best I can tell is that they are from the late 50's, 1958. I hope that DrCJW can interpet the information more precisely. I will look for Mardi Gras later, these drums are BLACK background - no purple, Gold streaked lines and Pearl that show as white/aqua/pink spots. The bass drum has a Chicago badge with the loop on the "S".

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Mikejtone:

Actually your just looking at it upside down - the phantom "6551 833" is "DEC 8 1958". Reading shell stamps in the late 1950s can be an adventure.

Yes many versions of Capri - it was mixed by hand, and any particular production run came out the way the artisan did it that day. No computer controlled manufacuring in 1958! I'll have to get to more finishes in the articles, and we'll include Capri of course.

The two most common kits in 1958 were the 4-piece Gene Krupa Deluxe 22 13 16 #153 clamshell Super Krupa solid maple and the 3-piece Windsor, which was the same as the Krupa Deluxe just minus the floor tom. Of course people also ordered these kits with a Radio King 3-point solid maple as well (as David's drum pictured). Capri floors, clams, and RKs are definitely out there, just may take some patience and diligence.

Really nice condition on your drums by the way!

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks again DrCJW for your analysis of the "mysterious" numbers - It just goes to show you. What a dummy!

Well I guess this is going to become a drum set if at all possible.

I would like to put the word out to the forum regarding the floor tom in particular - I am looking for a 16" Slingerland Floor Tom in this CAPRI PEARL finish with a BLACK background (not purple) that would be a part of a Black & Brass Chicago Badge set (late 50's - 1960). Lots of pearls in the wrap...or something very close. Please PM me if you have got such a drum for sale or know where I can get one.

Also, I need to know what the proper bass drum spurs were for this 1958 Bass, and the proper Screw / Tightener for the shell mount Cymbal holder?

I am pretty sure the items that came with the drum are not original.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

BTW - This is a recently completed auction of a Slingerland snare that has about the exact finish that my drums have/\

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290060652198

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here