Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Slingerland Buddy Rich TDR, White Factory Wrap Confirmation

Recently picked up a 1976 (or so) Buddy Rich 10 lug TDR model snare in near mint condition. The seller (on Ebay) sells many nice snares, so no reason to doubt him. The snare was listed as excellent, all original (except hoops) snare.

I've looked through catalogs around '76 and I don't see any factory wrap listed that is white. It does look to me as a pure white, not white pearl or with a pattern of any kind. The wrap at the bearing edges does not look to be redone, but I am far from an expert in these things.

However, I just noticed an ad on Ebay for a "RARE" Vintage Slingerland White Vinyl snare, described as 1970's model 190 snare finished in heavy white naughahyde (vinyl) FACTORY FINISH and pretty rare!

Unfortunately for me, I purchased this snare BEFORE joining this great site. I like the snare's sound, the 10 lugs and such, but now am wondering if this a) was not accurately represented or b) this is a more rare, original white, TDR snare.

Here are a couple of different shots to maybe help with ID.

Please help me out here.

Thanks very much, as always!

Peter

Posted on 17 years ago

The colors section of this web site shows a '76 Slingerland supplement with gloss white listed. http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/slingerland_finishes.html

Posted on 17 years ago

Wow, that was a "speed of light" response!!!

Anyway, I only checked the regular catalog (which I have), didn't know there was a supplement.

So, is this gloss white wrap actually rare and what years was it available (other than 76)?

Again, this site and the knowledge the members have, has proven invaluable to me.

Thanks very much.

Peter

Posted on 17 years ago

I imagine as the late '70s went on, the white wrap became more common, along with black. I guess having a white wrap snare is "rare"; I haven't seen many of them. Rare doesn't always mean more valuable. I've bought and sold Slingerland snares in "rare" finishes (aztec, denim, etc...) and they don't always bring the same $ as more common finishes. I think the relationship of value and finishes has partly to do with the rarity, and partly the "attractiveness" of the finish. Even common finishes in pretty bright sparkles will bring more money (for the same drum) than will "odd" or "rare" finishes, like marble or denim, that aren't "flashy".

When you have a snare drum that's rare AND pretty, like Slingerland's oyster pink or yellow tiger, Ludwig's psychedelic red or mod orange, or Rogers' mardi gras, the dollars go way up.

BTW, I think that white TDR you have is a beauty.

Posted on 17 years ago

Rich:

I really do appreciate the advice and agree, rare doesn't always mean valuable. I must say, I picked this snare up on a whim, pretty much because I thought it was a pretty snare. The rest of my drums are actually candy apple red, plus my latest additional of red sparkle Radio King.

That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, hopefully (whenever i decide to sell it) there will be others out there like me.

Thanks again.

Peter

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here