Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

slingerland buddy rich snare identification

i have a 76 5 1/2 x14 tdr snare my problem is i don't know if it is a br or a concert king the 76 and 77 catologs list some rather contradicting specs the 77 catolog list the br as 5 1/2x14 and ck as 5x14 but the outfit page says the br is 5x14 ,now the 76 catolog lists both as as 5x14 and the oufit page 5x14 my snare has no hot laquer and no tri plane snare bed like a ck but has gut tdr stainer any help steve thank you

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Steve:

Two questions will help - if you have it, what is the exact shell depth bearing edge to bearing edge, and what are the first 2 digits of the serial number?

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

ser.no 244482 5 3/8 shell size not quite 5 1/2 thank steve

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]slingerlandsm:

So, good call on the date, 1976 is the most likely. At that time gut snares were not officially offered on a Buddy Rich model, but were a central feature of the TDR-based Concert King. Your shell size being 1/8" under a full 5 1/2 would be more consistent with what Slingerland put out on a drum cataloged as 5x14. In general, Slingerland cut the shell blank a bit over the cataloged depth, to ensure that after bearing edge work the shell wasn't undersized. So, very often we see Slingerland shell depths are a "healthy portion" - a bit over, and rarely under. As to the snare beds - the beds on 1970's Slingerland wood snare drums are nothing like the deep snare beds prior to 1970. On the 5-ply shells look for a very slight planing at the top of the 45-degree cut - it's very subtle, and easily overlooked.

So it sounds more likely that your drum originally shipped as a Concert King. But in reality they are the same snare drum. In fact, Buddy Rich started playing a WMP 5x14 TDR 5-ply in 1973 - when it was cataloged as a Concert King. Slingerland just put wire snares on it and left off the tone control, per Buddy Rich. He liked it well enough and by the 1976 catalog Slingerland had a new Buddy Rich snare drum model.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

thanks so much for the info i just added this drum to my collection ,steve

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here