Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Slingerland Broadcaster ??

Hi,

I'm new to your forum and hope someone can educate me a little... I've had a drum collecting problem for 20 years and can't seem to rid myself of the disease.. I am a bass player and can't even play them! So it brings me to this question and this forum. What is the difference between Singerland Broadcaster and Radio King.. Is this drum a Broadcaster or Radio King. It says Broadcaster on the rim. I have the entire kit, It is beautiful, and what is the year 1931?????

Dave

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I don't know the answer to your question, but WOW! what a cool finish!

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi Mr bassist,

The differance between a Radio King drum and and a Broadkaster is the lugs used. Broadkaster lugs haave NO inserts, i.e. the tension rods screw directly into the lug.

This was a bad design on Slintgerland's part and the story goes that they had so many complaints about the lugs being stripped when put under tension that they changed them. Look at "regular" Slingerland Radio King cigar lugs and you'll see the differance.

My advise to you with your drum is don't put it under too much tension. By the way, the finish on your drum is Ablone pearl, it'a s rare finish and I would love to see the whole set if they are all covered in that finish. POst pics if you can. If you are thinking of selling the snare of set send me a private message and we can talk.

Dave. diddle001

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi Again,

Sorry forgot to mention. The year of your set is roughly 1935. NO broadcaster drums in the 1934 catalog. No catalog in 1935 but the 1936 catalog shows the "New" Radio king drums. I think the general consensus wil agree with me.

To my knowledge the Broadcaster drum was never officially in any Slingerland catalogs.

Dave

Posted on 15 years ago

That is a Broadcaster...

Take a good look at the top hoop!!:D

And the first Radioking snares did have the insert-less Streamlined lugs also...

Posted on 15 years ago

My abalone Slingerland snare says Radio King on the hoop, but the the lugs have no inserts.

The only difference that I know of between the radio king and the broadcaster is the tone control. The tone control on the broadcaster is similar to the radio king ones, but the spacing of the screws is wider and the thread to apply the muffler to the head is reversed.

This tone control was first used on the artist model snare when Slingerland stopped using the tone flange.

My snare is on this page:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/slingerland_snare_page.html

Posted on 15 years ago

Here is a picture of the entire set, I have the hihat and stool.. More pics when I get home later, thanks for the information. I just stare at it every night along with the rest of my toys.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

From mrbassist

Here is a picture of the entire set, I have the hihat and stool.. More pics when I get home later, thanks for the information. I just stare at it every night along with the rest of my toys.

It looks like a kit the mummy would play. Very cool!

Posted on 15 years ago

From Londoner5

It looks like a kit the mummy would play. Very cool!

Yes Sir

Maybe he did!

Posted on 15 years ago

From the_drum_dad

Yes SirMaybe he did!

I wouldnt put it past him Cool1

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here