Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Slingerland BROADCASTER SNARE

just bought this gem on ebay looking for some info on this snare ,being a slingerland collector this was as nice a find as my Duall 3 years ago ,i just put on a arm from a 1930 radio king scrapper project snare and it fit perfectly the shell and wrap are perfect any info would be great thank you steve

Posted on 17 years ago

That's a very rare snare drum. Slingerland made that in the early '30s when they first came out with the streamline lugs. Gretsch had them stop using the name Broadcaster, as Gretsch was already using it, so Slinglerland changed the name to Radio King. (Gretsch did the same thing with Fender, hence the Telecaster.) That drum probably has the old tone control, similar to the common Radio King one, but with a wider screw spacing and "reverse" threading. If it were me, I'd find some old, steel tension rods, to make it look all correct. I'd love to see a link to the auction where you found that...I must have missed it. Hopefully the DR can give exact dates and details. Very nice drum in nice condition. I'll take it!

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

just bought this gem on ebay looking for some info on this snare ,being a slingerland collector this was as nice a find as my Duall 3 years ago ,i just put on a arm from a 1930 radio king scrapper project snare and it fit perfectly the shell and wrap are perfect any info would be great thank you steve

I would like to see a photo of your DuAll...I love those drums.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]An absolute treasure of a drum.

1935 Broadcaster, the successor to the 1934 DuAll and the predecessor to the first Radio Kings of 1936. The first 1936 Radio Kings differ from the Broadcasters in only one respect - the engraved words "RADIO KING" instead of "BROADCASTER". Everything else was the same: solid maple shell, 3-point strainer, 4-hole brackets, streamline lugs with no tension rod inserts, etc.

Cherish this one!

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here