Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Slingerland Bearing Edges

Hello friends,

This topic is always controversial, but it is really out of necessity at this point.

I have a set of Slingerland Stage Bands (their version of clubdates) that I am finally getting around to wrapping. When I acquired them, they were single headed, so the bottom bearing edges are in rough shape. I have filled in and sanded most of the gouges and imperfections, but they still look like they could be a difficulty when it comes to precise tuning. I want to get the bearing edges re-cut on the reso side, just because they were in pretty rough shape.

What was the original Slingerland Factory Edge? Mine are date stamped 1966. Is it a rounded 30? I want to be as specific and close as possible to the original edge. I am all for leaving the original edges on vintage drums, and I take the "if it ain't broke....." approach. Sadly, these are still kinda broke at this point.

Thanks!

Posted on 10 years ago

If the bearing edge on the top is in good shape, have them copy that. While you have the shell in the shop, have them check the top edge for level.

My vintage Slingies all needed at least 1/16" of leveling before their edges were coplanar.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 10 years ago

From Starship Krupa

If the bearing edge on the top is in good shape, have them copy that. While you have the shell in the shop, have them check the top edge for level.My vintage Slingies all needed at least 1/16" of leveling before their edges were coplanar.

Big +1!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here