Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Slingerland Bass Drum Spurs

I'm curious if there is much - if any - difference between mid to late '60s Slingerland bass drum spurs and 1970s ones. I'm referring to the 3/8" chrome ones with the "c" ring - specifically 11+" ones. Hmmmm

Just wondering in regard to replacements for my 18" early Jet style kick.

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

There were some really thin ones put out in the late 50s to early 60s. The ones after that were thicker and pretty much standardized throughout the run until the late mid 70s.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks McJ - I did read about the skinny ones of old. On ebaby I've seen 2 kinds, both allegedly Slingers - an earlier '60s with a very pointy spike w/ c-ring and the more typical mellower nubby spike with the C-ring.

Are the dangerously pointy ones the skinnier ones? or has someone misidentified their listing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/60s-VintageSlingerland-Bass-Drum-Spur-VG-Cond-9.5%22-LONG_W0QQitemZ140326126251QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20090610?IMSfp=TL090610152003r3441#ebayphotohosting

I picked up two 11-1/4" nubby ones with the C-ring - labeled as early '70s - they were not too pricey - And since I'm not oozing $$$ toward absolute 1965-67 spurs for my 18" - until then, I'm hopeful that the ones I got are "vintage acceptable" for my drum. They fit perfectly and match my research of proper length (if I was correctly informed) - JP Creations calls the style I have the Model 727-3 (though i don't know if that refers to a specific length).

Oy! With so many finer "points" of vintage drum parts - I feel like such an infink baby crawl2

Posted on 15 years ago

So I received my 2nd Slingy kick drum spur - both are 11-1/4" in length.

Both are identical Nubby C-ring types, except for the non spike end - (see pic)

The left one has a nicely rounded "capsule" shaped end, and the right one has a somewhat conical taper grind with a flat top. Both are fully chromed - factory issue.

When I see such slight variations, I wonder how those differences can be used to identify the general "vintage" of the spur.

I've also seen another end variation - flat. Also fully chromed.

I sight the chrome as *hopefully* solid evidence that the end(s) have not been tampered with.

Anybody know the variations per issue year?

Yeah, real vintage minutia Party

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Those don't look familiar to me as Slingerland spurs. I'm not sure what they might be. Anyone else?

Posted on 15 years ago

Here's a pic of the other end of the same spurs. The other pic is the "butt end" of them - here's a pic of the tips - which seem to be in step with many ebaby listings, as well as the JP2 Creations version.

It's possible that I'm mistaken & misinformed.

Also 2 pics of the same spurs - full shots. The left one has the rounded "capsule" end - the right one has the flat top ground conical end. Both of these are 11-1/4" and were listed as Slingerland 1970s spurs - and from 2 different sellers. Was I duped? Twice?? Mind Blowi

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

No. The tips look to be genuine Slingerland. You were not duped. That first shot above threw me. I thought that was the floor end. It really floppeled my brain. Anyway, those look like good floor ends. No worries. They are the thicker version.

Posted on 15 years ago

Phewww - Scared me Eye Ball

I *thought* that was the typical Slingy spike.

With these butt end variations - it should be helpful in ID'ing the year of issue to match the right spurs to the right drum.

Does anyone know the year/date evolution of Slingy spur butt variations?

I'd think such "fine point" info is right up the VDF's alley.

Come to think of it, it woulda been good for Slingerland to have C-rings on both ends to help to keep spurs from being so easily separated from the drums. - - ah.... a little late on that idea

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here