Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Slingerland and Rogers hardware compatibility

Hello! I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I own a 1964ish Rogers Tower kit in Sky Blue Ripple. This was the Comet outfit and didn't come with a floor tom. I bought it in 2009 out of this old man's garage for cheap. Neither of us knew how rare the color was. I searched on ebay since August of 2009 for a matching floor tom. The only one I've seen sold for $800 in auction. At that point, I knew I was in over my head.

Finally, the other day I saw a 14x14 slingerland (1965) which seemed to match. I decided to go for it! It was the right size, color and price!

The floor tom legs are the push-button variety. They seem to work, but they have machine screws instead of the buttons. No biggie.

So, I'm thinking about making a sort of counterfeit Rogers drum out of it. All I want to do is see if the rogers holiday beavertail lugs would be compatible with these. I don't have a way to try it because my other rogers drums are single-lug design. The slingerland lugs' holes look to be 1.5" apart.

Would any beavertail lugs fit those holes?

Also, are there different sizes of beavertail lugs? If so, specifically which kind of beavertail lug would fit these 1.5" holes.

Also, the push button mounts seem a little... funny... Is there a compatible rogers floor tom mount for those? Holes seem to measure 2.25" apart. Or, if not rogers, could I just replace those with some sort of wing nut style mount? Thank you for any help!!!

-Paul Deatherage

Posted on 10 years ago

I think all companies made their lugs a little different in size,so that you wouldn't put say,Rogers lugs on a Slingerland drum,then pass it of as a Rogers....

There would be a whole bunch of messed up drums out there if all lugs were interchangeable!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

If memory serves; the lug holes for Rogers Beavertails are 1 3/4" on center. It'd be a shame to turn that old Slingy into Swiss cheese just to add beavertails. It is your drum and it sounds like a keeper, so if you want to make it match the rest of your kit, no one is going to stop you. You'll have to drill an extra set of mounting holes for each lug, but the Rogers lugs should cover the extra/unused slingy lug holes well enough.

Measure twice, drill once. Minimize the damage. If the wraps match, I'd just leave it as is. The only one that is going to notice the difference in the hardware is you and maybe one other drummer who may be sitting in the audience. Otherwise nobody will notice that the lugs are different on the Slingy from the rest of the kit. It'll just melt into the set-up visually.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

I agree with Purdie. The only people that will notice the difference will be vintage drum enthusiasts who will look at you with respect due to the fact that you did not molest the drum. Please keep it as is.

Posted on 10 years ago

Please keep it original! You will be glad you did! That is one sweet wrap by the way!

Posted on 10 years ago

......also please post pics for us to see these beauties!!!

Posted on 10 years ago

Hi, everyone and thank you for the information! Rest assured, I was never planning to drill new holes in the floor tom! But, I saw in another thread that the Slingerland and Rogers bass drum lugs were similar enough to be practically interchangeable. I just thought I'd check to see if any such similarities existed for this floor tom. So, thanks for the info! And, as requested, here is a link to a facebook picture album of the Sky Blue Ripple kit, plus some other drums. The album should be visible whether or not you are a facebook user: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.549753697548.2079528.52701252&type=1&l=745d14eec0

Thanks again!!!

-Paul

Posted on 10 years ago

Great kits! Thanks for the pics.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 10 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

If memory serves; the lug holes for Rogers Beavertails are 1 3/4" on center. It'd be a shame to turn that old Slingy into Swiss cheese just to add beavertails. It is your drum and it sounds like a keeper, so if you want to make it match the rest of your kit, no one is going to stop you. You'll have to drill an extra set of mounting holes for each lug, but the Rogers lugs should cover the extra/unused slingy lug holes well enough.Measure twice, drill once. Minimize the damage. If the wraps match, I'd just leave it as is. The only one that is going to notice the difference in the hardware is you and maybe one other drummer who may be sitting in the audience. Otherwise nobody will notice that the lugs are different on the Slingy from the rest of the kit. It'll just melt into the set-up visually.John

Amen brother John!!!

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 10 years ago

That's a great match. No one is going to notice really, except another drum enthusiast. I think it looks fine. I have a similiar situation with a 16" Slingerland floor exactly like yours except in Champagne. It matches my Ludwigs. I have the 14" and 18" floors but that 16" fills the void. You can't tell from the audience and it sounds awesome. Mine has the push button leg mounts and I have these little screw in buttons I got at Home Depot that look and work wonderfully.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here