Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Slingerland & Ludwig concert re-wraps

Summer re-wrap project - Slingerland concert bass and Ludwig concert toms. It appears the bass was marine pearl before painted black a very long time ago. This made it quite difficult to remove the wrap - it came off in shards as a result. These drums are dated around 1968-70. More pics to come.

2 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

What will you be re-wrapping them in?

MarkE

Posted on 10 years ago

Charcoal Pearl

Posted on 10 years ago

WHooo!! First post.

What size is that bass drum? Just something wonderful about a giant bass drum.

Jazz snob in training

No relation the other KL from PA
Posted on 10 years ago

Bass Drum: 16x36 - most all are wider in depth these days.

Posted on 10 years ago

Shells unwrapped, prepped and ready for new wrap. For some reason the 10" tom does not have a mahogany outer ply.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Looks like a great project. I think the big concert BDs are pretty cool, too. Are you doing this for a school, as a concert drum, or is this to be some sort of "monster" set?

I rewrapped a Slingerland 16x36 last year for one of our jucos. Here's the link to the thread with pics:

http://vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=40404

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 10 years ago

From Immanufactorium

Shells unwrapped, prepped and ready for new wrap. For some reason the 10" tom does not have a mahogany outer ply.

I've run into that with the granitone interiors a couple of times as well. I don't think Ludwig was too concerned about that...

I also see the two larger toms have clear interiors. That wasn't that odd for Ludwig to do that in this era as well.

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 10 years ago

Yes, these are school-owned orchestral instruments. They just desperately needed attention. Everything else is in great shape and it made sense to preserve what they already had. Shells were is good enough shape to warrant the time and effort. I've already wrapped two concert basses in the past and those turned out great. Next year I'll be wrapping a 40x18" Ludwig 6-ply!

Posted on 10 years ago

Just wrapped the 36". This one required some planning since the wrap comes in three separate pieces.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here