Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Slingerland Algonquin Factory

I have lived about 5 minutes away from Algonquin Illinois for 20 years and have yet to meet anyone who even remembers that Slingerlands were (briefly) made here let alone where the factory was. Does anyone have any info about this?

Posted on 16 years ago

I think that was in the early 80's and was the very last move for Slingerland and it was extremely short lived. If I remember correctly, I don't even think they were there for a year even? Sorry to post off the top of my head. To tired to dig out the Slingerland book right now.....

:::Ryan B
Posted on 16 years ago

I read somewhere on this website that it was in 1986 for about a year before the company ceased production. I'd like to know more about it and maybe get an address in case the building is still standing.

Posted on 16 years ago

I just looked this up in Rob Cooks Slingerland Book. There's no mention of the Algonquin factories address. Maybe someone else around here knows.

:::Ryan B
Posted on 16 years ago

208 berg st this is the address on the 86 catolog

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks! I know the place and I think the building is still there. I'll check it out and try to post a photo. I'd like to hear the story of how they happened to move there from Niles and then close down in a year. Did they build the factory? An ignominious end for a great company.

Posted on 16 years ago

208 Berg St is now just one part of an industrial building that houses a number of businesses. There is an auction house in there now and according to the sign the previous tenant was Delco. I can't say whether this is the same building that Slingerland used or whether they occupied just this part or the whole building. The current tenant knows nothing.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here