Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Slingerland AA Pedal needs some work.

Hi, everyone, I recently retrieved my 1959 Radio Kings after leaving them in someone's care for over 25 years (long story) and while I have replaced the BD pedal, I still have the original AA pedal but it's missing one of the cams that screws into the shaft and attaches to the spring...my question is...does anyone know if the threads are "opposite" each other on each cam? Is one right-hand threads and the other left-hand??? If not, wouldn't one side tend to loosen during play? Without the missing cam, I can't make a judgement...but when trying to screw the other cam into the other side the threads are either crossed or they are in fact reversed and therefore aren't interchangable. Does any of this make sense? If so, any ideas? Anyone have an old AA for parts? The pic shows the cam I'm talking about.

Posted on 13 years ago

I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at. You have another end piece/cam but it won't screw onto the shaft?

If so can you post pictures of the shaft and end piece/cam?

Here's a way to tell if it's right or left hand threads, that may not translate well to text. Point your right thumb down the axis of the threads and curl your fingers. Look at the threads and your right hand. if you were to turn a screw in the direction your fingers are curled would the screw move in the direction of your thumb? If not they are left hand threads. Try this for both the shaft and the endpiece. They should either both be right hand or left hand. If so you may have a buggered thread which can be cleaned up with either a tap or a die or thread file.

Let us know what happens.

I have such a pedal and have been wondering how to take it apart.

'56-'59 Slingerland BDP "Krupa Deluxe Ensemble"
DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Various orphan shells and parts nearing critical mass
Posted on 13 years ago

What you show is a right handed thread so it goes on the left side (drummers view) of the pedal. The right side of the pedal uses a left hand thread as you suspected.

Thanks for posting this picture.

I have an AA pedal that I wanted to disassemble and clean but was at wits end to see how it came apart and didn't want to do anything to damage it. Once I saw your picture I knew how it had to work. Spring extension always acts to tighten the cam screws.

If you are missing the left side, what you show in your picture should work. If not you may have a buggered internal thread that could be cleaned up with a 1/4"-20 (I think) bottoming tap.

Good luck and thanks.

DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks, Lenos,

I really appreciate you answering my first question concerning left/right handed threads....my dad was right...he was the first to pose that question...

What you see in the pic is what I have, I'm missing the right side piece. I'm pretty sure I'll never find it...unless someone like you who has a pedal like that wants to sell it for parts. Actually, I believe that if I can find a left-hand threaded bolt I can fabricate something that will work. I really don't have to fix it, I just thought it would be nice to do so, since it is the pedal that came with the set. I bought a new pedal to use...so I'm not gonna lose my mind over it...I live the kind of existence that things just pop up when I least expect, and I'm sure I'll find what I need. My dad knows a machinist and I don't think it would be too hard to "lathe" a new piece.

My dad was the drummer in the family. Played in the Marine Drum & Bugle Corp...so I'm giving him the drum set for Father's Day.

Posted on 13 years ago

Your dad is a lucky man.

Keep your eyes on Ebay as these do come up every now and again. If push comes to shove you could have your machinist friend remove the existing threaded stud and then drill through and braze in a left handed stud. Fill the rest of the hole with brass, replate as desired and you are good to go.

If I run across anything I'll let you know.

Regards

DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here