Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

slingerland 70's

Hi

I'm new to the forum and have been playing drums about 5 years. I'm a middle age mom of a young percussionist and my interest started when I bought him a beginners drumset.

I have been wanting a vintage drumset for awhile now. my brother owned a 67 ludwig once. I liked the sound of it and decided I wanted to try to find something like it for myself.

I have found a Slingerland 70's cordova leatherett used set....He wants 500 dollars!!!. I have no pictures but have researched and checked the badge numbers here. Seems to be 1975. I think its football shaped.

Anyway, it is missing bass hoop, 3 bottoms rims, leg spurs, and bolts to attach toms to mount. Some plies show a little seperation (it has re-rings). Bearing edges are ok, but not great. Wrap still looks good.

What do you think is a fair offer for it? It will cost $150 or so to get replace ment parts I think.

Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

Welcome to the Forum!

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

First off...although the cordova finish is pretty rare, like the aztec finishes, it is not desireable and will be a tough re-sale if and when you decide to sell it.

And like most of us that are into vintage drums, there will ALWAYS be another cool set you'll want and sometimes we have to sell stuff we have to buy the next one!

Another thing...those missing parts, although not that hard to find, will set you back some $, and with Slingerlands of that era, missing parts may mean some stripped parts.

I'm a huge fan of the early '70s Slingerlands...just finished cleaning and finding the parts for a new "gigging" set of red tigers and I love 'em.

If I were you, I'd look for a more complete set OR try to get the cordova set for around 3-350. Unless of course you love the look of the cordovas...

Posted on 15 years ago

Having just done up a 1961 Slingerland set missing many of the same things yours is, I'd have to agree with Rich K. 100%. I gave $200 for my set (which was in pieces when I got it,) probably put another $250-$300 in it (stopped counting after a while, but that estimate includes heads and everything ready to get them playing.) Of course, I had to go with chrome over brass rims, which run a bit more than the steel ones you'd need, but I think you could safely look at around $200 for everything you need. I'd think you'd have a hard time getting $700 out of a cordova set, even though they are rare. I'd start with $250 and work up to $350. I'm also a huge fan of the ugly finishes though. Some people wouldn't touch those drums at any price. :D

PS- rering separation is an easy fix. I've had to do it on 75% of the 3-ply Slingerlands I've owned.

Posted on 15 years ago

Welcome.

I agree with what they said. I really don't have anything to add. I was just feeling left out. There are LOTS of nice Slingy kits out there for that area of cash. You will do yourself a favor by waiting for the right one. We will help you find it if you want. Pretty much all of us watch ebay and such and will keep an eye out for you. Take care and let us know what you decide.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thank you all for the kind welcome and good advice!

You are right, I'm going to wait for something in better shape to come along. I have a set I can play, so I should be in no rush.

I'm not really in love with the cordova... but I don't mind it either. Whats inside (sound) is more important. I guess I like like almost any color.

I think though, I would like a bass drum with a 20" diameter, so I can have the toms low and level.

I would really appreciate it if you would give me some help shopping for a vintage set.

thanks,

peg

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's how I started drumming. I was (am) a bass player, and my daughter started drumming 6 years ago. But I had so much fun having a drum set in our living room, I would always jump behind it until one day she said "can you get your own ?" So I did.

You can post in the 'wanted' section here....and also keep an eye on Craigslist and eBay.....

The nice thing about Slingys is, they still tend to go a bit cheaper than equivalent Rogers, Luddys, or Gretschs. It's a strange, silly thing in the market, because vintage Slingys are awesome kits...but that's the way it is....Another brand which also seems to go a tad cheaper is old Premiers...and those are also awesome old kits....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey

I have good news... I'm really happy. I bought the set for 150 dollars and set of zbt's we didn't use anymore. I know I need some parts, but I think I can do it for about 150 or 200, keeping the total price around 350 dollars total.

I'm going to try to attach a picture. Do I use the "manage attachments"

peg

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes. Manage attachments will do it. Keep the image size within the constraints and you'll be set. Looking forward to seeing the haul.

Posted on 14 years ago

Here it is.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here