Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Slingerland 70's Marching snares

So I'm going to pick up two WMP marching snares that are missing a lot of parts and wondering what other members do with these marching drums.

I know they are not all that rare or collectible and probably sell for 80-100 tops but these two are missing parts and the badges were "cut". I was thinking of cutting out the middle and making a few 5.5"x15 snares lol but idk.

The wrap looks good so maybe I could salvage the wrap for other projects?

I can post a pic soon, still talking with seller on craigslist.

Thanks

Posted on 12 years ago

There are a lot of these out there and I doubt anyone here would cry foul if you decided to use a drum like this for experimentation. Making a couple of snares out of one is a fine idea. It's also a good opportunity to develop some skills if you need to. These shells are generally fairly well made and would lend themselves to being pretty good snares. Probably pretty loud and bright would be my guess.

I have a Slingerland 12x16 TDR 10 lug that I am turning into an 8 lug floor tom for an orphan kit. BillnVick has been restoring those for local schools which is very cool.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

Yeah, and I've also used those 12x16s as floor toms and have a new use for them now -- going to use at least one of them as the BD in making a kids' size kit (with 8x10 and 11x13 toms). I've still got 4 or 5 of them. I had some that were 12x15, but sold them all to the guy who makes bar stools out of them (pretty cool, sells them on eBay). The ones I had/have are all late 70s 5-ply shells with a clear maple interior.

Complete, $80 to $100 is about right. IMO probably not enough resale value to go through the hassle of locating and paying for all the correct parts and restoring to its original glory. But, if you're just wanting it for the sake of having one, they were very good drums!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here