Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Slingerland 5-ply kit - from the 60s??

Hi everyone!

Just found your site via Google - very cool.

It would be great if you could help me with the approximate production date of a Slingerland bop kit. Actually, the articles have already helped a lot, especially the one on Slingerland shells. Still, I'd appreciate feedback a lot.

The story: it's an ebay item - the seller said it's from the 60s, so I thought of thin shells with rings (That much I already knew), but it seems to be at least from the 70s, as it has thick shells w/o rings.

I'm thinking about returning it - which I could do with a confirmation that it cannot be from the 60s. That's where I'd much appreciate your help.

The kit has thick shells, 5 plies, in standard sizes (18x14, 12x8, 13x9, 14x14 with legs). Natural finish; when you take off a head, you see the outer ply doesn't go all way up to the edge. Bearing edges are quite sharp and cut straight (45 degree?), with hardly any countercut on the outside, quite rough (by today's standard, at least).

Serial numbers are:

12": 388531

13": 388522

14": 387162

18": 388582

Some pics:

(that's me in the mirror...)

Thanks for your help!

Posted on 17 years ago

More pics:

12" Tom shell w/o head:

Posted on 17 years ago

So, I was able to return it, based on the Slingerland shells Article.

Thanks Doctor!

Posted on 17 years ago

Yep and the badges also started in the 70's and if you compare them to the Dr's badges you should even get closer to the date.

Not 60's

Also realize the 5plys are also nice drums and people look for the 5 ply shells. If you were set on 60's Slingerland then I can see why you wanted to return them. Your sizes are also hard to find and that set with the 18" bass and 14" floor is a nice set of drums.

Well, needless to say they are being returned and you will eventually find the 60's set you are looking for.

The hunt is the most fun!

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Yeah, guess if I were a collector I shouldn't have been so fast in returning them. Sizes and looks were nice, indeed. But the rough condition turned me off (broken lug, finish). I'd just like a light kit to carry around, and with an open, warm sound. Not set on Slingerland, a nice Gretsch would do it, too :D - but that's where budget comes into play...

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here