Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Slingerland 20N Jet Outfit and 940M & W "Snap-On" pedals?

Hello Dr., I was hoping in another thread (Vintage) to gain knowledge and some history on the Slingerland 20N Jet sets and the Tempo-King "Snap -On" 940M and 940W bassdrum pedals. The thread did get an answer from Rich K. which was really helpful but I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the sets and the pedals. I assume that the pedals and COB rims were a "pain" and players removed them and added wood hoops (and different pedals)? What players on the West Coast asked Slingerland to create the sets? The 1969 catalogs shows endorsements?? from Dave Bailey, Barrett Deems, Oliver Jackson and Jake Hanna but earlier catalogs showed no endoresers. When did the sets that used the 940W come into existence? I see the 940W pedal mentioned in the catalogs but see no mention or pictures of the wood hoop sets. The 20N sets seem to have moved from 18" BD to 20" in the five years the sets were offered. I did notice that both of the pedals used a spring loaded piece that Slingerland later used on the "Buddy Rich" No. 806 Dynamo Hi-Hat stand and called a snap-in foot board in the 1969 catalog. I have not found many sets with an 18" BD. Was this a Slingerland "mind-set" from their years of advertising and endorsing the use of BIG bass drums by Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich and others? Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Bill

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Bill:

Well it started, as many things do, by drummers doing some experimentation, looking for sound, efficiency, and just something cool and different. 18" and 20" metal hoops were not hard to find. Slingerland made plenty of toms in those sizes throughout the preceding years. Why not try it? Tuning efficiency becomes more like a deep tom, the look and profile more streamlined, breaking down is quicker, carting a little less bulky without the T-rods and holder, the bass drum slips into a Mackintosh cloth case more easily. Plus it's different, and cool looking. California. You get the idea. So it kind of caught on with enough players on the club circuit, the Slingerland west coast rep was on the case, and Slingerland gave it a shot. Not very successful outside of Cali, however, and not even there. An experiment, but no ?killer ap? effect.

BTW ? this will sort of date me ? but way back in the day as a very young drummer in Connecticut, a long way from California, I tried this on my own myself. Was received O.K. on the cocktail lounge circuit, but my fellow drummers on the ?Battle of the Bands? circuit thought I was a little strange. I used a 22? bass for big bands and shows, so only classic wood hoops there.

Dave Bailey, Barrett Deems, Oliver Jackson and Jake Hanna were not exclusively Jet Outfit users, but good names to put on the catalog page. The Jet started in 1964 cataloged with a 14x18 bass, but this changed to 14x20 in 1967. This was purely for sales. In the 1960s the most popular bass drum size, by far, was 14x20. The 940W was a contemporary of the 940M that came with the Jet.

Nice historical kits ? congratulations, enjoy and take care of them. They are precious.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

DrCJW, Thank you sir! Your insight and musicology is always valued and appreciated! Did Slingerland always make 'stick-saver" 20" metal (COB & COS) rims? I have tried to find 20" COB rims on forum want lists and eBay with very little luck. Regards, Bill

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Bill:

Yes, "rim shot counterhoops", a.k.a. "stick-savers", were made by Chicago-land Slingerland in 20 inch diameter, right from the start of the hoop offering in 1955 through 1986. Slingerland always offered one or more 20 inch floor tom models, which used the hoop. 20 inch floor toms were not really huge volume items, even in the "big" 1970s, but the hoops are out there.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here