Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Slingerland 2 to 1 Snare questions

I have a Slingerland 2 to 1 snare, and I would like to know more about it. What I know already :

size: 5.5" x 14"

shell: 5 ply wood shell (no reinforcement rings)

covering: chrome

serial #: 260268

vent holes: 3

tone control: yes

I'd like to know what type of woods were used in the shell, what type of strainer it has, and it's approximate value. The drum has rust damage, and I was wondering if it would be better to have it recovered, or to leave it alone and clean it up as best as possible. I'll try and post some pics, but I'm new here and may screw it up! Thanks for any and all help/suggestions.

Gretsch are Great!
Posted on 17 years ago

I don't know what kind of strainer that is but I need one exactly like that though. Just picked up a 6.5x14 and the strainer is busted. Nice looking snare by the way!

Posted on 17 years ago

There's one on ebay right now item #290130923198. He's asking $522.00.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks! Yeah, I'd like to have it cleaned up so I can play her again.

Gretsch are Great!
Posted on 17 years ago

Wow! I don't think mine is in as good as shape as that one probably is, but I'm gonna check it out right now. Thanks again!

Gretsch are Great!
Posted on 17 years ago

The one on ebay is chrome over brass; mine is chrome over wood. Nice to see a similar one though going for that.

Gretsch are Great!
Posted on 17 years ago

That is the TDR strainer.

You will find the shell information in the slingerland section by DrCJW

on the home page of the main web site, or Click Here to go directly to his part of the web site.

For your own knowledge, I would read all of the information he has about Slingerland drums.

I think you should clean it up and leave it alone. Do not recover it!

There are some good resources on cleaning drums on the web site. A rewrap will decrease the value.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

The drum on that Ebay auction belongs to stewy. He is a member here if I remember correctly. For those of you who would rather click to the auction, Click Here

Stewy has a lot of drums for sale and they are priced higher then you would normally see them. He is running a store and that is how I would probably do it also. He might be getting offers and or seeing what kind of watchers he has and moving things out to auction.

If everything was priced low, then he would not have an inventory.

Our own Rich K has a very unique one that is in the old Drum of The month section.

I remember what he paid, but I will leave that up to him if he wants to say it. It was on Ebay for pick up and he was at the right place at the right time.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

The last thing....

Your drum will clean up just fine and will shine!!!!

You will never be able to get the small dents out with that finish, so

just live with those.

A good polishing will take care of the surface rust.

NO STEEL WOOL on that shell!!!!

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks David! I appreciate any information. I'll be reading that info, by the time you see this. Thanks again.

Gretsch are Great!
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here