Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Slingerland 1970 Festival Snare Drum

Hi all!

I recently obtained this Slingerland snare drum and will begin a full cleaning and detail soon.

I believe this drum to be the elusive COB "Festival" model, catalog No. 136. While the shell is the same 3-line version used for all Sound King snares, this drum was factory drilled for the Rapid strainer and standard butt. I had a 10-lug version some years ago, with the 3-line shell and Rapid strainer/standard butt. That drum sported a Black/Brass badge, while my recent acquisition has the Black/Silver "transition" badge used only in 1970.

Even though all the pictures of the Festival snare drum show a smooth shell with no lines, it's obvious that Slingerland always used the same picture for years and years!

My Festival snare drum is all ORIGINAL, right down to the heads, snare wires and the thick snare string Slingerland was using.

Attached are pictures of the drum in "as received" condition.

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago

Nice one... Steel rims, Mark?

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 3 years ago

From longjohn

Nice one... Steel rims, Mark? CheersJohn

Hi John!

Yes, the drum has original COS hoops. I was hoping for COB, but knew that Slingerland had already gone to COS by 1970. It's obvious that these hoops were made by the same supplier as the COB, as they have the same profile. Slingerland changed the COS profile over the next decade and there is a difference when you compare them side-by-side.

I'll be posting more pictures soon!

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago

Looks to be in impeccable condition!! Nice score, Mark!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 3 years ago

From grantro

Looks to be in impeccable condition!! Nice score, Mark!!Cheers

Hi grantro!

Yes, it is in impeccable condition! While most of the parts need to be polished, they don't require cleaning...if that makes any sense! The original tension rods and the inside of the lugs, including the springs, are uber clean! The original gum rubber washer on the Rapid strainer is intact and looks almost new, except for just MINOR cracking. But, it's still very pliable. 99.9% of these washers, including those on the Zoomatic strainer, always dry out, rot and completely fall apart!

I'll be posting more pictures soon!

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago

Some more pictures of the "as received" condition. Look closely at the muffler pad. Does it look odd? I'll get to that soon! The original aluminum grommet was properly flared on the inside. I've seen many factory installations that didn't come out this good!

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago

Did you figure out the muffler felt pads? Here are two more pictures of the muffler in the drum and removed from the drum. There are TWO felt pads! This appears to be a conscience decision on the installer, due to the fact that the solid rivet used is longer than that for a single felt pad installation. Weird! That, plus the entire assembly is super clean!

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago

Here's another treat I found...exceptionally clean tension rods and super clean lug springs, inserts and lug interior! This drum must have spent decades inside the included hard case I also received. These parts were never exposed to the elements and are the best I've seen! While I really don't have to clean anything, I will polish all the chrome.

-Mark

2 attachments
Posted on 3 years ago

Here's the Rapid strainer, after doing a polish and light greasing of the sliding piece. What's incredible about this Rapid strainer is the condition of the gum rubber washer. Upon closeup inspection, I can see light cracks on the outside, but that's it! The gum rubber is still very pliable! Anyone familiar with Slingerland's use of these gum rubber washers, for the Rapid, TDR and Zoomatic strainers, knows full well that, over time, they dry out, crack, crumble and completely fall apart! The condition of the gum rubber on this Rapid strainer has to be due to being stored away in the hard case for decades, with no real exposure to the outside air!

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here