Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Slingerland 18x20" chrome over wood project

This is the 2nd tom i just got off the bay awhile back, it is a 70's 18x20" floor tom, chrome over wood wrap. Lonecomic a slingerland employee had given me advice on this and the copper wrapped 16x18" shell i have already posted, his advice was to avoid the copper wrap shells because of the glue that was used for them, but the steel or chrome wrap was ok, he was right on both, the copper wrap was a major pain, where as the chrome wrap was super easy, i spent 3 times as long on the 16x18" than i did on the 18x20", once again i used crown tuff strip paint remover!! to remove the glue, and then used a powered orbital sander with 100 grit sand paper to remove the glue remnants, the last pic shows the results!! i have a lot of experience doing this if your a newbie, this is the place to learn how to do it right!Jumping2

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Lookin' good man !!

While you're on a roll, I have a shell or two that.........Eye Ball

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice. I just went threw that too taking off a black chrome metal wrap.

Let me just say. I think I came up with some new swear words.:D

BTW how are you going to finish the shells?

P.S. I'm following along. Teach Me Teach Me.Cool Dude

Joe

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”
Posted on 14 years ago

What kind of monster Slingy are you building here? 18 and 20 floors! SOOOOOOOOOO awesome.

-Ad

Posted on 14 years ago

Adam, and PopsOldSkins, the 16x18" is going to be wrapped in black diamond pearl. to go with my 70's slingerland kit, the 18x20" is going to get painted blue gold duco to match a kit i am building! if you are ever going to use any of these metal wrap shells get the cow the copper is a bear, in fact if i would had to hand sand it i would of given up! the orbital sander is the key!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

Adam, and PopsOldSkins, the 16x18" is going to be wrapped in black diamond pearl. to go with my 70's slingerland kit, the 18x20" is going to get painted blue gold duco to match a kit i am building! if you are ever going to use any of these metal wrap shells get the cow the copper is a bear, in fact if i would had to hand sand it i would of given up! the orbital sander is the key!

Black diamond pearl *drools*

I have my eye on a used 1972 BDP set at a used music store here. They want $600.00 for them. Shells are in like new condition. 12",13" 16" 22" Ten lug COB snare.

Lots of the set screw's have been changed to bolts.:mad:

All new hoops, but not slingys. They have had them for a half year. Trying to get them to come down on the price.

Hope Hope hope.

Joe

Posted on 14 years ago

From PopsOldSkins

Black diamond pearl *drools* I have my eye on a used 1972 BDP set at a used music store here. They want $600.00 for them. Shells are in like new condition. 12",13" 16" 22" Ten lug COB snare. Lots of the set screw's have been changed to bolts.:mad:All new hoops, but not slingys. They have had them for a half year. Trying to get them to come down on the price. Hope Hope hope.

Thats actually a very good price for that kit!! this is my 70's kit i am adding the 16x18" floor tom to,

Posted on 14 years ago

Yours are nice.. Just love that color.

Oh man I got to sell my 80's Slingys so I can buy the 72's.

Joe

Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

V2000. I forgot to ask, What type of wrap are you going to use?

1 Glue on

2 kind with sticky back

3 lose ones that just have the glue strip at the seam's?

I'm getting close to performing this surgery.

Joe

Posted on 14 years ago

From PopsOldSkins

V2000. I forgot to ask, What type of wrap are you going to use?1 Glue on2 kind with sticky back3 lose ones that just have the glue strip at the seam's? I'm getting close to performing this surgery.

I'm probably going to use precisions drum co's black diamond pearl it looks to be a very close match,and I'll glue the shell and the wrap and then wrap it, I have access to a wrap roller, so it's very easy to do!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here