Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Skyrocketting snare drum pricing...whats going on?

I've noticed a few things over the last year or so of collecting that I am not sure what it is attributed to...

Is it just me or are Ludwig Jazz Fests increasing in price tremendously. A few years ago you could get a great one in the $3-400 range. Now it seems like they are starting at $500, and easily going up to $700 or more.

Even more dramatic is the Jazz Festivals cousin, the Ludwig Classic Snare. I remember these going for less than $300, then one day they were just as expensive as the Jazz Festival, if not more. What happened there?

Even Pioneers are getting close to $300.

I see a simialr trend with Gretsch RB Snares. Used to be in the $400-500 range, now easily $800 for a Name Band or anything with the microsensitive strainer.

I have a 8 lug and a 6 lug RB snare with the renown strainers which I paid a fraction of what the microsensitives are going for and they sound just as great, without that worrysome microsensitive strainer.

I have a 60's era Slingerland Gene Krupa COB Snare, 5 1/2" x 14".

Was playing it last night, tuned up medium high, Like Gene Did in the 60's . Top and bottom heads tuned very close to each other...

I must say this is such a killer drum! I don't know why it goes for so cheap on E bay. but it certainly doesn't get the price it deserves. You can ussually find them in the mid to low $200 range.

It seems like Slingerland drums in general are either holding their price, or dare I say, geating cheaper. With the radio king being the only exception.

There is a recession going on in , right?

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 14 years ago

The prices are really not that extreme. Most of the deals I've seen are unsold on eBay...with a few selling for below or slightly above average market. Every now and again you get a freak. A lot of those have shills working the auction and the final price is viewed as unreliable.

Posted on 14 years ago

From mcjnic

The prices are really not that extreme. Most of the deals I've seen are unsold on eBay...with a few selling for below or slightly above average market. Every now and again you get a freak. A lot of those have shills working the auction and the final price is viewed as unreliable.

I have to agree, but i have noticed a crazy trend with acrolite snared drums recently?? and in fact 10 years ago snare drums price's were out of sight price wise, I think the market is soft now and a good time to buy!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

If the trend is that American made vintage drums are going to go up in price, then that is a good thing. :Santa:

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

That's good, I have a 76 acrolite that I will end up free for the price of deep cleaning the whole kit. I am finally selling the Mahogany Cortex monstrosities today. I will take the best the guy offers, and it looks like I will get a couple hunski and a pair of hats. That makes a total of a few hundred plus an Acro and a pair of hats. If you remember, the kit came with a 20" Paiste Power Ride that went to vadrums, Thanks Tom! And the hats, a pair of Camber Crystal and the stand went to Everring, for labor, and then the shells to a good guy here locally.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From all I've read - drums, vintage drums, will go up substantially. Part of the reason is drums are just catching up. Look at the price of guitars and violins.

I'm no expert, I'm just interested and passing on what some people in the 'business' have been saying.

If you get a great deal or find a treasure in "granny's attic." then that's good. But those deals/finds are becoming less common - especially because of the quick access to "hey - what's this worth" via the Internet.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here