Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Skin message to remove old glue residue

Old round badge shells. The previous owner removed the wrap and there is quite a bit of glue residue remaining. What's the best way to remove it? I think I will be painting the shells so I need a good looking surface.

Thanks

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 8 years ago

I forget the name ( might be 3m ) but there is an adhesive remove I use for any glue residue. Works great, and actually dissolves itself after a few minutes. So you're not left with chemical residue. Works fast. All you need is some form of scraper and you're set.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

You also need to tape off all the holes from the inside to avoid have the remover leak through the holes and damage the interior paint.

Posted on 8 years ago

I read somewhere that that would be old hide glue and warm water and soap is best...could be totally wrong.

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

For old hide glue, use alcohol. It will crystallize the glue..

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 8 years ago

It depends what type of shell you have. Some, like Rogers and Ludwig pre 80's are a pain to deal with. I found that using Lacquer thinner works best in some cases, not in other. Never tried 3M but I have heard of a product only available in Canada called Glue Buster made by surf pro. Apparently takes care of any kind of glue.

Here in California, where everything is almost prohibited, is not available.

But whatever you do use a type of chemical that evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. To make it effective since the surface is round and the liquid will tend to fall off and evaporate, place a cloth on the shell and soak it with let's say lacquer thinner, then place another cloth on the soaked one. Leave it for about 20 minutes. The glue now should come off very easily with a plastic scraper.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here