Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Single flange hoops for Gretsch Dixieland snare

After the help I got yesterday, I decided to buy the snare on ebay, a Gretsch 60's (?) Dixieland. I was making a quick decision. It needs work, but I thought it would be fun, and I've never had a 'round badge.' So what the heck. Plus it was fairly cheap.

And I've read some great stuff about them.

But now as I look at the Vintage drum catalogs, it looks like the original has single flange hoops, whereas the one I bought has the Gretsch die cast. The single flange look pretty danged expensive now that I'm shopping for them!

So two questions for the restoration gang: Are single flange hoops correct for this snare? The paper tag says Model 4105, the serial is 5748.

Second: is there a source for the single flange, if I need them, that isn't $50 apiece?

Thanks!!

Posted on 12 years ago

I've had a "Dixieland" w/ cast hoops, & see many others w/ the cast hoops. It is so common that I wonder if this was an option, taken by many drummers. I've also had the single flange hoops w/ clips, but the hoops are made of a metal that distorts easily at each tension point. Count yourself lucky to have the heavy hoops.

Posted on 12 years ago

Ah, good news. Thanks for the info.

If I can judge by the photos, they look to be about the same age as the rest of the drum.

A web page I've visited often just for pictures and some general information, http://leevinson.com/gear.html has this snare with die cast hoops. It stuck in the back of my mind that he refers to it as his "favorite for jazz drumset."

Tdennis, or anyone who has one of these...any advice for heads, set-up, etc. ?

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here