Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Single flange hoop problem...

On my friend's early 50's Slingy snare with single-flange hoops, the rim tends to slip off the edge of the head hoop during play. It's an Evans G-1. Do other brands have a wider head hoop? Is there a fix I'm not aware of? I repositioned it once, and with in ten minutes it fell off again.

Posted on 10 years ago

Are they the original hoops?

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 10 years ago

may be out of round?

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

No matter how you rotate it, it falls off in the same spot on the drum. More like a head problem, might be slightly sloped instead of flat in that area. I believe this may be a common single flange hoop issue. Yes they are original Nickel hoops.

Posted on 10 years ago

The ole rim out of round problem.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

Those rims were used when calf-heads were the only game in town. Calf heads have big rolled edges, modern heads do not. I'd try an Evans 360 (slightly larger than normal heads) or an Aquarian vintage.

Also... consider going with calf heads on the toms! I have calf heads on my mahogany kit and the toms kill with the calf heads. Just a thought.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

On my snare the head fit is very tight. If the head is not completely seated rim will slip off. 360's work just fine on the toms. Won't fit the snare.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 10 years ago

Well I ended up bringing over a single -flange hoop I had in the drum hoop pile, one I'd saved from a student Gretsch drum many years ago. Problem solved, but the rim is chrome, not nickel. The Gretsch rim has a much squarer edge on the inside,where it hits the head hoop,and grabs it better.

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to track down and solve it. Makes the drum a ton more enjoyable. Interesting topic and I'm sure a problem for many. I only have a few single flange hoop drums. The Radio King single flange hoops have a nice long "lip" on them. They extend a bit beyond the head hoop on the Evans G2 head. I also have a 20" floor tom. I got a pair of chrome over brass single flange hoops. Not sure if they are Slingerland. But the flange lip on those is a little shorter. On these the head hoop (G2) extends a tic past the flange end. As toms they are not high tension drums. So I can see how a snare under more tension could be more of a problem? I didn't check the inside bend angle of the hoops to see how straight it is. Next time they are off I'll compare.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here