Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Should it be refinished?

I have a 1956 WFL snare, Duco finish in generally very good condition except numerous chips in the paint. No dents in the shell. Is this drum worth more as is, or does it make sense to strip the paint, sand and varnish?

Dave

Posted on 15 years ago

A related question is; were any of the '50s vintage WFL snares finished from the factory in natural wood (varnished)?

Dave

Posted on 15 years ago

You will get mixed responses to your first question. Personally, I think Duco finishes will be fashionable again one day. It's the originality of the paint that will matter. -my 2 cents

Second question: yes, there were many drums finished with clear coat lacquer over mahogany. Some old Ludwig drums (like those in my 1941 "Junior" kit), are clear lacquer over maple. So, the answer is "yes" there were such drums.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Hmmm I'm not sure I agree with O-Lugs when he says you'll get mixed responses to the should I sand and varnish question... I'm betting on 100% vote for "leave it alone". :)

Duco has such an awesome vintage vibe! To me it's kind of like should I cut the fins off my "59 caddy??

Maybe fill, fine sand and get a repaint if the chips are that unsightly...

My two cents ... but I am a big fan of duco. :)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Post a pic....usually if the Duco finish is decent and holding its own, it is more valuable to leave it....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here