Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Should I re-paint my Rogers Bass hoops?

About a year ago I aquired a mid 60's Rogers Holiday Kit in BDP. I have restored the kit as accuartley as possible to the original. The one thing I have not yet done is re paint (or just touch up) the wood bass drum hoops. The hoops , structurally speaking, are in great condidtion, but due to age, some of the black paint has worn off. This is mostly where the tension claws make contact with the hoop, and also where the pedal attatches.

My question is, should I leave the hoops as they are or should I touch them up, to recreate the original look? If anyone believes I should re-paint them, please suggest a brand of paint that might work well.

If it might help I could upload some pics.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 18 years ago

It all really depends on the extent of the restoration. If it was a general cleaning, then it might be best to leave the hoops as is. It is kind of like brand new tires and rims on a stock car! The hoops will stand out to much.

Then again if the restoration was very involved and the set gleams like the sun, then yes painting the hoops will not drastically affect the set value (if done properly).

If the chips are small then you can always take a black touch up paint and or indelible marker just to cover them up so they do not stand out as much

Any enamal spray paint in a semi-gloss would do the trick and that is with the proper sanding and preperation of the hoops.

There are some other good techniques and other people have their opinions on the topic so let's see if anyone else has some ideas.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here