Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Should I lubricate lugs?

This question has probably been asked and answered many times before but I need to know. I am restoring a set of ludwig drums for my son and so far I have not lubricated the threads(tension bolts) inside the lugs. I did notice a small .dot of old grease caught inside the springs of a few of the lugs and assume I probably should have used some grease, What(if any) type of grease should I use? There doesn,t seem to be any corrosion going on inside the tension threads and they work fine without grease. (I don't know what to call them) Also what are the lugs on Ludwig drums made of and should I use anti corrosion grease on the threads that attach the lugs to the drum? TMTM

Posted on 16 years ago

Dang...I can't think of what that grease was called at the moment. I prefer to just clean everything with almighty WD-40 Burger Kin until everything is spotlessly-clean. There is a small amount of penetrating oil in WD-40 and it dissipates pretty quickly.

I believe there should be friction between the lug screws and their inserts so that there is more resistance to prevent the lug screws from backing out during playing. That being said, some drummers hit so hard that it doesn't really make any difference what kind of condition the lugs and inserts are in! Mister T

Sometimes, drummers oil these parts...which reduces friction and can really make a lot of difference insofar as backout is concerned. The heavier viscosity of grease tends to create a bit of "stick" by comparison to oil...but those little gobs of grease end up everywhere you don't want them!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

O-LUGS: You are reading my mind. I have always thought that lubing the tension threads would allow the drum to go out of tune easier but I wanted to know how others felt about this. I may have answered the second question also because the resonance of the drum might cause them to loosen also.Humm! TMTM

Posted on 16 years ago

Yes I agree that lubricating the tension rods makes it easier for them to then de-tune themselves under heavy playing. What I have done to prevent this is simply use "lug-locks" they are really small inexspensive, and ingenious litlle pieces of plastic that lock the tension rod in place.

As for what to use, sometimes I use Vaseline, and sometimes I use a lubricant that my Dad gave me when he was in the Air Force. It is meant for lubricating and cleaning fire arms, but works great on my tension rods!

Sometimes I lubricate them, sometimes I don't.

Just remember, a little dab will do ya. Don't go nuts with the lubrication.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 16 years ago

TMTM,

I think what happens is...when the drum is struck, the force of the stroke pushes on the head and, just for a split-second, creates some "slack" (for lack of a better word) between the rim and the head. At that point, the vibration of the sound might loosen the lug screw a little bit....add, rinse, repeat! ;)

Lug locking devices probably work very well to alleviate this, but I have never used them....I just don't hit hard!

Posted on 16 years ago

I've Never heard of lug-locks? I kept my toms tuned to the cord of "E" and they never seemed to detune, ever. I always tore the drums down about every 2 months for total maintenance(heads,cleaning & waxing if needed) and the only lubrication I did was on the pedal(still learning double pedals) and some hardware. I sure do learn something new every day P_K. TMTM Every days an adeventure

Posted on 16 years ago

You know...I just had the thought...It would sure be cool to see one of those films done with super-slow motion -of the impact on a drum...just to actually see what happens. I bet the the head would really deflect and the rim would reaaaallly rattle around there for a split-second before everything tightened back up again. I would also bet you could see the lug screws turning slightly after the impact, too! Ahh, well...just a thought! (Does anyone have a high-speed film camera?)

Posted on 16 years ago

And...I just have to say this...because I am "O-Lugs"...

Another way to avoid lug screws backing out is to use....Arbiter Advanced Tuning drums Party(now defunct:(). Okay...well that's my plug for Arbiter. Thanks.flowers2

Posted on 16 years ago

Never use vasoline as it breaks down and also has a tendency to pick up dirt. I clean my lugs and t-rods and then apply a drop of 3 in 1 oil. I've never had a problem with t-rods backing out. WD40 is great for cleaning but it is not a lubricant.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 16 years ago

Sounds like a project worth doing. If they can slow down a bullit they can do a drum head. What would be even better would be to show the slow motion vibrations of the OLD SKINS and keep showing the evolution of drum heads up till today. Then we could REALLY understand the difference in the various sounds being produced today. Humm! I wonder if 2 ply heads are rubbing together to produce the licks or is one ply just protecting the other? musicbj: When I was gigging I would use thin oil to prevent rust and the best rust prevention oil to use (In my opinion) was gun oil. Sounds funny but it worked. Always hated those under the tents (Rain) giggs. TMTM

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here