Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Should I lube the tension rods and/or springs in lug?

Hi guys,

I am deep into my first restoration project on a 59-61 Slingerland bass drum and I am having a blast!. I have a question though: Can anyone tell me if it is appropriate to lube the the threads on the tension rods or the springs that are inside the lug? If so, what lube works best - silicone based, vaseline, mineral oil, other? I ran a search on this topic and came up with one thread, but no definitive answers.

As always, thanks for your help! Its great knowing that there are such experienced, friendly, and helpful people here.

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

yes lube the tension rods, and i use a bicycle suspension lube called slick honey, very slick and clean,

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

I agree lube them i use vasaline and apply it with a Q tip..

Posted on 14 years ago

I use 3-IN-ONE oil

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 14 years ago

If you want to do what they did at the factory, I believe they used automotive wheel bearing grease.

Posted on 14 years ago

Alot of guys use white lithium grease on the t-rods.

Posted on 14 years ago

I use 3 in 1 oil also. It is clear, and it protects the rod from rust as well. You just need a drop on the end of the rod and you are good to go. It's cheap, too. A bottle is only about 3-4 dollars and will last you forever.

There are probably other products like it, but I would stay away from anything colored (anyone seen that orange gunk used to lube rods back in the 60s-70s? Yuck.)

Edit: The springs usually dont need any cleaning. If they look really bad to you, you can wipe them off using a rag and some WD-40, but it isn't absolutely necessary. WD-40 does a good job of cleaning the inserts as well.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thank you all for the replies - very helpful!

James Cool1

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

3 in 1 is the way to go

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here