Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Should I Get New Cymbal? Or Is It Too Soon?

I'm a rookie drummer. I've been playing for about 5 months now and I have fallen in love with drums. I LOVE cymbals and the sounds that come out of them. I really want to buy a Splash cymbal (i already have 2 crashes, hi hat, and a ride) because of it's one of a kind sound. My dad though thinks I should just use what I already have. Is he right? Is too early to start adding cymbals?

I plan on getting the Splash for my entertainment (i dont use a splash where i get my lessons). I also plan to drum for the rest of my life. I have always liked drums but now it's becoming part of my life. So, there is no way I'm going to bail out after buying attachments.

What do you think?

Updated Information:

-Total cost for an arm and the splash comes to around 70 bucks online (not including shipping/handling)

-Total cost for a stand w/ boom (in a store) and the splash comes to around 80 bucks (not including shipping/handling)

So either way I'll be paying close to the same price if I decide to get the cymbal. If I do decide to get it what do you prefer? The ARM or the STAND W/ BOOM?

You can call me Carter!
1980's Gretsch Red Rosewood
2000's Gretsch Catalina Birch
Zildjian/Paiste - Remo - Pro Mark/Vic Firth

Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of drums, and the never ending quest. Just like guitars, there is always a new toy. A good splash could be a wise investment. Honestly, unless you know what you are looking for, exactly, in sound, do not buy online, because you are so inexperienced and know not that much about all the intricacies of drums and percussion yet. If you insist, look on Craigsist, watch carefully, and you could easily score a nice splash for half that, or two really cool ones for the same as new, or even half. You see, Craigslist is a place people go to dump stuff now for cold, hard cash. If you come across a listing for cymbals, and you have some cash, go to the persons house, with your money. Do not tell them how much you have, but look at the set, play them, and make an offer. Hold firm to your offer. The older, more experienced person will try to get all of your cash, but hold until it looks as though you will not make the deal, then go up 5 bucks at a time until you make the deal. If you are looking at a splash in good, not new condition, and the add says 40, offer 25. If the offer is for 70, and you only think it is worth 40, say so, but politely, and offer it, and stand firm, but don't be ridiculous. If you are looking at a 40s era cymbal and the ad reads 125, this is where you would not want to be ridicu;ous and make a really low ball offer. If, on the other hand, it is a 2 year old ZBT, and the ad is for 70, that is ridiculous, and this is where you would make a 30 offer and leave at 35, because it is, well, a ZBT. Always go to the persons house, never make an offer by email, it is too easy to say no. It is much harder to say no to cashola. Do not be smart or sarcastic, don't look over excited, and be respectful of the person's family and lifestyle. If you cannot play the instrument, ask if you can come back at a more appropriate time. If they are not willing to allow you to play at all, I would pass altogether.

How old are you? Let me be the first to tell you, it is always heartwarming to us old f arts to see you young 'uns come to the vintage drum world.

I took an old, beat to hell 70s kit, put a new, hand laid finish of Champaign Sparkle on it, and gave it to a neighbor boy of 14, and he is in love with vintage drums now. Only because he has a set of his own vintage drums, and has played modern drums as well, can he really, truly appreciate the gift of vintage sound. This extends to you, and to vintage bronze.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

How old are you?

I'm going to be 16 in march. I have so much respect for music and drums. I couldn't believe how naturally some of the stuff comes to me. I decided to quit soccer at my school so I can take on drumming completely. I'm actually planning to try to get the splash for my birthday as a last resort.

Just to let you know about my set... I play on a 1980's Gretsch Classic Setup w/ Zildjian Cymbals. PDP Platinum Series snare. Here she is...

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2w5t7qb.jpg[/IMG]

You can call me Carter!

Posted on 14 years ago

Very nioce, and since they are 20+ years old, they are getting the aging going on. 1985=25 years old. That is qualifying for Vintage now. Now you need to start slowly putting together some vintage flat stands so that you can see the drums, not the hardware. After you get some bronze worked out.If you look at some of the pictures in the gallery, you will notice flat based stands that don't obscure the drums themselves.

Are those 20-12-14 sizes?

What part of the country are you in? I have looked at other areas' CL and have noticed they are not all the same. For instance, http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/1559525832.html

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/1569044342.html (same guy different post)

look at this, I can make it happen for you, if you want it, and if he wants a local sale only. Contact him, and see what he will do on it.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 14 years ago

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/1551288466.html

here is another one wioth even more stuff in it. These are everywhere in my area. I can help you get anything you want taken care of. If you need me to pick them up and mail them, no problrm. Let me know if I can help. Our CL is a bargain humters' dream.

Posted on 14 years ago

I'd get a cymbal arm that will come off of one of your stands.

The 10" Wuhan cymbals are cheap and sound good. There's always a bunch of them on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WUHAN-10-SPLASH-NEW-TRADITIONAL-CYMBAL-NR_W0QQitemZ330400767198QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ced6b9cde#ht_500wt_924

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

Only because he has a set of his own vintage drums, and has played modern drums as well, can he really, truly appreciate the gift of vintage sound....Very nice, and since they are 20+ years old, they are getting the aging going on. 1985=25 years old. That is qualifying for Vintage now.

Without any intended mocking of vintage things and especially drums, may I ask you a question?

After certain number of years, things get old and out of fashion and after a few more years they get cool and vintage. After 25 years my new Sonor Force 2007 will get vintage too, or will it not? Because today, they don't make drums like they used to, right? Technology is different, music is different, sound is different. Many people like "vintage sound" of 60s-70s drums more than that of today's. So, do you think it's possible that after 25 years, today's sound that is now considered inferior to older drums will be "that good ol' sound of the golden 2000s", or drums from the rock'n'roll age will remain the best forever.

I'd also guess that liking music from certain period also matters. Heavy metal and Ringo's Ludwigs just don't get on well.

Sorry for OT.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 14 years ago

I like older Zildjian Avedis splashes. I have a 8" or 10" inch that sounds great and I see them here and there for a good price.

Posted on 14 years ago

From LUDLOVER

I like older Zildjian Avedis splashes. I have a 8" or 10" inch that sounds great and I see them here and there for a good price.

I use an older (80's?) AZ 8" and to me the AZ splashes are the stereotypical sounding splash cymbal.

As far as the vintage drum thing, I don't really know what everybody is talking about. To me a drum is a drum. How you play, your cymbals, the choice of heads, how you tune and how you tweak the set are probably 95+% of the sound and I'm sure you could play in a metal band with a properly set up 1919 Ludwig drumset and no one in the audience would notice anything different.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Gilnar

Without any intended mocking of vintage things and especially drums, may I ask you a question?After certain number of years, things get old and out of fashion and after a few more years they get cool and vintage. After 25 years my new Sonor Force 2007 will get vintage too, or will it not? Because today, they don't make drums like they used to, right? Technology is different, music is different, sound is different. Many people like "vintage sound" of 60s-70s drums more than that of today's. So, do you think it's possible that after 25 years, today's sound that is now considered inferior to older drums will be "that good ol' sound of the golden 2000s", or drums from the rock'n'roll age will remain the best forever. I'd also guess that liking music from certain period also matters. Heavy metal and Ringo's Ludwigs just don't get on well. Sorry for OT.

I think you're right in way. Vintage is representing the high quality of a past time. So in 25 years if your set is considered rare or old... and of high quality of its time... then it is vintage. But in 25 years your set will be around 28 years old. Which will be really exciting for someone to own in the furture. But MY 80's set that is currently around 30 years old... will be 55 years old. 28 vs 55. So my 80's set will always be considered vintage (or a better vintage) set because of it's time of fame in its era, being almost double the age and being known as "the original/classic" drum set from the time of 'good ol rock n roll'

As long as there are people who will choose today's vintage sets over any other modern set... The era will last forever and be known as "THE Vintage Drum Set"

Also, drums leaves a powerful footprint in history. Drummers are praised for what they have done so long ago. I am a fan of drummers that were dead when I was born! That must mean something. So if drummers can be known for so long... I believe it works the same for the drums.

Please really think about what I said because I believe I make a good point.

You can call me Carter!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here