Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Should I do this?

I HAVE A NICE SET OF LUDWIG ROCKER 2 IN RED AND WAS GOING TO TAKE THE FACTORY WRAP OFF AND REPLACE WITH WOOD VENEER. I OWN A CUSTOM CABINET SHOP AND AM VERY EXPERIENCED WITH FINISING WOOD. IN YOUR HONEST OPINOIN, WILL THIS MAKE THE DRUMS LESS VALUABLE OR ARE THE THE ROCKER 2 SERIES A CHEEP VERSION OF LUDWIG DRUMS THAT NOBODY WANTS ANYWAY? THEY HAVE THE BLACK AND WHITE BADGES WITH ROUNDED CORNERS. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ON EBAY FOR DRUMS TO ADD TO MY SET AND HAVE LEARNED THAT MINE ARE IN EXTREAMLY GOOD SHAPE. NOW I AM WONDERING IF I SHOULD MESS WITH THEM OR NOT. wHAT DO YOU THINK?

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 13 years ago

I'll jump in this pool.

The Rockers are not "cool" drums that vintage enthusiasts clamor for. With that said, ...

If you like the sound and want to play with refinishing them, I say go for it.

Post your work here and give detailed narratives. Thanks.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

I say go for it also, I'm about to start doing a similar thing with a friend who just finished buying his dream kit, all drums are different finishes and all purchased off of e-bay. I also build some cabinets and have experience in veneering and he wants a wood set so we're going to finish his set and do a little custom work on it, in fact he brought everything over to my place last week and we set it all up the way he wanted it and took some before pictures. I think it's an eleven piece kit and eleven different finishes on it!

Posted on 13 years ago

Its hard to decide weather or not to remove the almost perfect factory wraps. I think I might just keep this set as is just because I think they are neat. I think I am going to look at buying different drums peice by peice to re-finish and build my double bass set I have always wanted. I need to find some 80,s Rocker toms. I have the bass drumms and floor toms but need to work on getting more mounted toms, any advice where to look for them other than ebay?

1 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 13 years ago

JC,

I just picked up a Rocker kit in Red Fury (?) to flip.

You may want to do a little research if you haven't yet to confirm yours is the Rocker II. I was thinking the Rocker II have high tension lugs, but I could be wrong on that. I know they made them for a number if years.

Mine has black wooden hoops on the bass and the shells are a mix of maple and poplar.

To answer your question on picking up extra drums, eBay and craigslist are going to be your best bets in the US I would think.

Posted on 13 years ago

well I am just going off the bass head, it says rocker II on it. The research I did do said the rocker II had the brownish speckeled finish inside the shells, and thats what I have. This was done so they could use les attractive wood I guess.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 13 years ago

Your set is from if i recall right mid-80s yes its a rocker 2.Are the lug's rounded all the way around them? or have a point in the middle of them? This would give a better year when they were made...F.Y.I. the rocker lugs are the same as the mid 60s Ludwig Standard one's..If they are rounded all the way around the lug...C/L or Ebay is the best way to fine matching drums for your set...C/L is best and cheaper than Ebay...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Yes they are rounded, that was one thing that made me think they were somewhat rare. Rare or not they are so clean I thing I will leave them alone. Here is a picture of them.

1 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 13 years ago

Well, three years later these rockers are still factory red and look very nice. This thread was what got me mixed up into all of this,lol. So what do you think now, did I make the right move by leaving them alone? I think I made the right choice.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 10 years ago

Jeff, you probably made the right choice! There are enough drums that NEED to be refurbished that's there no reason to disturb them if they're in good shape!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here