Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Shelly Manne's Ride 1962 TV Broadcast

No,but would like to!

Had a 25" Trans Stamp Ride once though...........

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

Don't know about the cymbals. Need to get into that soon. But the second video playing Fantan is one of the best. There he is not playing Gretsch as indicated. He is playing Leedy. Look carefully for the logo on the bass head and the shape of the lugs and hoops on the toms. Definitely Leedy! No wonder it sounds so much better than Gretsch. :)

The Fantan cut is from 1962 on the Jazz Scene USA.

Posted on 12 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Don't know about the cymbals. Need to get into that soon. But the second video playing Fantan is one of the best. There he is not playing Gretsch as indicated. He is playing Leedy. Look carefully for the logo on the bass head and the shape of the lugs and hoops on the toms. Definitely Leedy! No wonder it sounds so much better than Gretsch. :) The Fantan cut is from 1962 on the Jazz Scene USA.

Leedy it is! I stand corrected. Yes they do sound fantastic too.

The reason whu I asked for a youtube example of the particular cymbal sound that you're looking for is that later in his career he started using switched to some newer (for that time) Zildjians. Those also sounded great, but a little different.

Posted on 12 years ago

Shelly Manne is one of my absolute favorites. Overshadowed by Buddy Rich perhaps, but as tasty a jazz drummer as one will ever hear. His CD 'The Navy Swings' is a real classic. It has a shorter version of Fantan without the lengthy sax and trumpet solos, but it covers a wide time period on which he is probably playing various drum sets and cymbals. Great sounds and well worth the $20 for your listening pleasure.

I don't understand why we don't see a lot more Leedy drums available, particulary on eBay. Nice sound and the COB hoops, like Slingerland, are always in uncorroded condition. Send out the Leedy's!!!!

Posted on 12 years ago

Indeed. Send out the Leedy's.

Still looking to capture that classic ride sound of SM's. The live recordings from the Blackhawk September 22-24, 1959 and a few others have been a guide for years now. Currently settled on a 22 50's Trans Stamp matched with a newer 19 Armand Beautiful Baby, which if I'm not mistaken was Z's tip of the hat to the ride sound of Shelly's era. For a modern cymbal it comes fairly close and is affordable.

Bill, could not resist looking once more at your fantastic photos in this thread. Before I retire from playing I'm going to have to get myself one of those. You'll let me know won't you? ;)

Posted on 12 years ago

Sure will. Sometimes I part with one now and then.

Posted on 12 years ago

Drinks on me if that ever goes down! Do you have a guess as to the weight of Shelly's rides? They were made a little heavier then correct?

BTW, I met his wife last year at a gig I was playing. Of course I couldn't help but mention that I was a huge fan. Very kind, sweet and extremely hip lady.

Posted on 12 years ago

From Agopsalott

Drinks on me if that ever goes down! Do you have a guess as to the weight of Shelly's rides? They were made a little heavier then correct? BTW, I met his wife last year at a gig I was playing. Of course I couldn't help but mention that I was a huge fan. Very kind, sweet and extremely hip lady.

The dance band cymbals from that pre-war era were all pretty thin. Sometimes very thin. The last 20" I had weighed about 1650 grams. The 18" (I had 2) were about 1025 and 1100 grams.

Posted on 12 years ago

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Posted on 12 years ago

From Agopsalott

Indeed. Send out the Leedy's.

1965 maple with Joe Harris brass snare:

1 attachments
Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here