Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Shells On Ludwig B&o Badged Toms

Hi,

I've got a Ludwig Floor Tom in a Mahogany Cortex finish with the Blue & Olive Badge on it and I'm trying to determine what type of wood the shell is made out of. Did Ludwig use different types of wood during this time period?

Thanks!Help2

Posted on 16 years ago

By the way......... the serial number on the B&O badge is 1,846,872, which I believe dates the drum to 1978.

THANKS!

Posted on 16 years ago

It depends...if it has reinforcement rings, it's 3 ply maple-poplar-maple, with either a natural, lacquered, or granitone (gray speckled) interior. If it doesn't have rings, then it's 6 ply maple. They made the switch to 6 ply around '76, but you'll still find the occasional 3 ply with higher serial numbers.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

mlvibes:

THANKS for the quick response (as usual) and the information provided.

The drum I've got DOES NOT have reinforcement rings so, based on your response, it would be a 6-ply maple shell.

Appreciate your help!

Posted on 16 years ago

Just to clarify things a little further, in 1976, when Ludwig went to the 6-ply ?Uni-Mold? method of Shell construction they continued to use Poplar so the 6-plies weren?t an all Maple Shell. If you look at the bearing edge of a 6-ply Shell you will see two colors of wood, a light shade, the Maple, and a darker wood, the Poplar???

LVDC

All Catalog images shown in my posts were generated by me (scanning) and are from my personal files........
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here