Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Shell repair

I received this shell in the mail this past week. What would the best way to fix this? Wood putty?

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

some may say plug it, some may say putty.

I'd use putty, but take a two component putty. and i'd use my special trick. That is: I push two or three needles (cut in half) in the middle ply, so that the're parallel with the ply. They will extra secure the putt from falling out the hole in the future.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 7 years ago

Other option could be wood glue with saw shavings.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

Not sure if you wanted to plug the hole and fix the tear, or just fix the tear. Good advice on the wood glue with shavings. Also, from my guitar and bass repair side, I have had good luck making a thickish slurry out of CA (superglue) and rosewood or maple sawDUST to repair dings and gouges in guitar and bass necks. Let it set, sand it, and its hard to see that it was repaired afterwards.

65-73 Ludwig orphans 22/16/15/13/12 (silver sparkle rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 5 x 14
1976 Ludwig Acrolite 5 x 14
1966 Ludwig Pioneer 5 x 14
66-'67-ish Slingerland orphan project 20/13 (original champagne sparkling pearl)
Mid-60's Slingerland Gene Krupa COB Sound King 5 x 14
Mid-50's Slingerland tenor-to-floor tom resto/conversion project
Early 50's Slingerland Marcher resto project
Pork Pie 6.5 x 14 Big Black
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

Thank you for the tips, everyone. Yes, I want to just fix the tear and salvage the hole for the lug.

Posted on 7 years ago

After all is repaired, use a -large- metal washer behind the lug. Wood glue and shavings is best...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

Here is another way to go. Bit more tedious but mends missing ply with replacement ply. Not a thing wrong with putty or sawdust other than potential for shrinkage and would need to be sanded flush. To paint what ever patch method you choose Testors model paint has a few silvers that one should work well.

Creighton

3 attachments
Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 7 years ago

From Creighton

Here is another way to go. Bit more tedious but mends missing ply with replacement ply. Not a thing wrong with putty or sawdust other than potential for shrinkage and would need to be sanded flush. To paint what ever patch method you choose Testors model paint works well.Creighton

WOW! Amazing work (which would take much more skill that I possess at present). Thanks for sharing.

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks!

Not hard just gotta go slow. Sharp blade to the make cuts. Trim oversize and make final cuts as needed. Biggest plus is true wood grain on the patch. Not a flat spot.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here