Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

SHARP 1970s Slingerland kit - y'all help out a newbie

Greetings, vintage drum guru collective. I've been lurking around here (and there) for awhile now, and finally felt like I'd tapped out my own research abilities - and had taken enough pictures - to humbly kneel before the experts and aficionados and ask for some insight.

A brief introduction: I'm a singe-r and multi-instrumentalist (guitar, bass, keys, sax, blah blah) who is just realizing that I will never be complete without digging into the wonderful world of drumming. I've always been the guy in the band who isn't the drummer but who sits down at the drums the second the drummer steps away (don't hold it against me), but I've finally taken the plunge and bought my own kit. I also have a 2-and-a-half yr old son who is OBSESSED with the drums - scripture says something about training up a child in the way that he should go, and I figure you can't start too early - so he has also, in part, inspired the recent purchase...although I only let him play "daddy's new drums" sparingly - he has a little practice pad and a pair of 5Bs that he would wail on literally all day long if we'd let him.

So, I've been poking around for a kit, and saw that a local estate auction had a Slingerland kit coming up. I showed up - not having done much research beforehand about Slingerlands or vintage drums in general - and as soon as I saw how complete and original and pristine the kit was, knew it had to be mine. I won, albeit with a finally higher winning bid than I'd gone in hoping for (as often happens with the auction format), but figured the kit was still worth more than I paid. Incidentally, it came with a bunch of crappy-sounding, but obscure, vintage cymbals: a 14" ufip, an 11" zenjian, and a 14" hi-hat and 18" "ride" set by "Caravan." All went on ebay - I wasn't interested in keeping them because, well, they just didn't sound good to me, but I made about 1/3 of what I spent on the kit BACK via the ebay auctions - so I was thrilled with that! (It brought the net expense down enough that the wife is letting me keep the drums, at least!)

I know a picture's worth 1000 words to you guys, so here they are. Lots. Here are a few in case you don't want to sift through the flickr set:

Here's my feeble bit of additional commentary.[LIST]

[*]The snare is chrome-over-wood, with the "Rapid" throw off. 8 lugs, 16 snare wires. Not sure if that makes it a Hollywood Ace or Deluxe Student model or what. No maple reinforcing ring, not sure how many plies (maybe you can tell from the pics). Everything works great and it sounds AWESOME, in my opinion.

[*]Badges are black-and-silver football-shaped, and s/ns (all in the 200,000s) seem to indicate early- to mid-70s.

[*]Sparkling red pearl isn't the typical crushed glass, but the sort of octagonal "confetti" look that DrCJW differentiates here. Not sure if that's more or less desirable, but I was just excited that it was a bit of an anomaly.

[*]No extra holes anywhere from removed/altered hardware. All drums have reinforcing rings except the snare.

[*]All heads appear to be factory originals. Toms have coated Slingerland batter heads on top AND bottom.

[*]Toms and snare all have that little internal muffler/tone control thing. In fact, I have one extra one that came with the kit - doesn't look like it was ever installed the kick or anything, so maybe just an extra.

[*]Kick ("tempo king") and hi-hat pedal ("direct pull"?) both have in-tact original leather "pulls." Stands have the red Slingerland / Niles, IL sticker. They're not the "flush base" kind (except the hi-hat stand), I guess these are called "rigid" in the catalog (?).

[*]Finish and chrome is all virtually flawless. The only thing is, there's some almost imperceptible fading on the left side (when seated, playing) from, I suspect, where the drums were set up near a window with light coming through at certain times of day. It's primarily affected the L side of the 12" tom and the kick; it's unfortunate, but VERY slight.

[*]Sizes are 8x12 and 9x13 rack toms, 14(?16?)x16 floor tom, 14x20 kick and snare is 5.5(I think)x14.[/LIST]Anyway, I loves it, loves it, loves it. Now, if I could just figure out how to get the kick tuned and sounding good (again: newbie), I'd probably only stop playing them long enough to eat and sleep.

Some things y'all can help me figure out, if you'd be so kind:

1. At first I thought this was the "modern solo" kit (No. 2R), but browsing the catalog pages I can find online, I see it has the double-sided center lugs (is this what the catalog calls "separate tension"?) characteristic of the "jam session" and "stage band" kits - more entry-level/student-line, right?; BUT unlike those kits, mine has 12" and 13" mounted toms, and NO cymbal holder mounted on the kick (and no holes where one would have been). So, not sure what to make of that. Could it be some kind of special order deal - like, this is how it all came from the factory, but not a "straight-outta-the-catalog" kit? Is this basically a special order 5 pc. stage band kit?

2. would appreciate any insight you might have on specific year (my guess is '73-'75??); specific model(s) of kit, snare, etc, or whether it's more of a custom thing; particular types of wood comprising the shells, and number of plies; and approximate value. Is the hardware worth anything apart from the complete kit?

3. the bass drum legs come out at what seems to me to be a really wide angle; fully extended, they both touch the floor, but just barely enough to keep the kick from rocking too much, but no elevation per se. And since it's a 20" kick, it seems to me that it might need a riser for the kick pedal to make proper contact.

So, what should I do here? do i need a riser? Can I get the legs to work without significantly altering the legs or the mounts on the kick? Seems like a design flaw to me, but I don't want to mess anything up.

My immense gratitude, in advance, for your help!

3 attachments

Drums:
Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
Other vintage gear:
1939 King Zephyr alto sax
1963 Selmer Mark IV tenor sax
1987 MIJ Fender Stratocaster, metallic blue
1970s Fender Princeton amp
Posted on 14 years ago

My guess:

It was ordered as a special order. It was either a 2-R or a 50N ordered with single lugs. If you notice the 13 - the badge is facing the wrong way to be mounted on that side of the kit. Also, the spurs are mounted too high for that type of spur. This also points to "special order". At that height, the angle is too extreme. That's why you are having issues. It also explains the mix and match hardware. The badges are too close together to consider this anything other than a factory kit. Slingerland was goofy, but not this goofy.

Posted on 14 years ago

Those are amazing! Great find, and the fact that you "got 1/3 back" on "crappy cymbals"? BONUS.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

In the last picture that bass looks like an 18" ?? Really nice kit. Any date stamps on the insides??

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Nice score...beautiful kit Simple solution for the bass legs is to just buy longer rods. Gibraltar, Peace, etc. all sell straight rods...just get the right diameters and slap some rubber feet on 'em.

Nice 3-ply shells...the good stuff....congrats.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the already helpful comments. It's starting to become clearer that it was an "a la carte" kind of special order (Rich K. helped clarify this, as my set is a lot like his "new" red tiger stage band kit). Hence no cymbal mount, and the "backwards" 13-inch tom.

The kick spurs still aggravate me - what would y'all do about that if it was your original, well-preserved kit? just get longer legs for functionality? I thought about bending the legs so they begin to angle downward at about the half-way point, but then they wouldn't collapse into the drum shell properly - didn't seem like the best idea. Neither does relocating the holes and mounts and messing up the otherwise cherry kick.

BTW, yeah, it does look small, like an 18", but it's definitely a 20" - I kinda wish it was an 18 honestly - before I bought this, I'd had my eye on those Gretsch catalina jazz kits. (Figure I made a considerably better investment, though, for the money.)

As far as date stamps, unfortunately no. Some of the shells have a complete or partial "slingerland" stamp but that's it.

Thanks again!

Drums:
Other vintage gear:
Posted on 14 years ago

Good suggestion, Jaye - sorry, you posted that while I was working on the previous comment. :-)

I've been out of town all week visiting family, and this is all making me really want to get home and play them!

Drums:
Other vintage gear:
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Don't bend the original legs...it won't work well with teescoping legs because, although the tension screws hold the legs at an extended position snugly, they don't keep the actual "cylinder" of the leg from rotating ever so slightly, especially when subject to repeated impacts from a bass beater...

What'll happen is, over the course of the session, the bent legs will start rotating and the drum will lose altitude....CryBaby

Also, for replacement spur legs, you can use generic Floor Tom legs and cut off the bent parts, then move the rubber tip to the straight part. Just make sure you buy the right diameter legs. Drummaker.com, drumfoundry.com, or locally. [/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi...Rich from the other forum here...

Just read your post and this:

3. the bass drum legs come out at what seems to me to be a really wide angle; fully extended, they both touch the floor, but just barely enough to keep the kick from rocking too much, but no elevation per se. And since it's a 20" kick, it seems to me that it might need a riser for the kick pedal to make proper contact.

Well, my '70s stage band set had the exact same problem..I thought it was slingerland mess up. But...

1. I made a set of legs from an old set of FT legs and my grinding wheel...

2. Slingerland made a set of 14" legs (for their 18" bass drums, I think) that will do the trick.

I saw one set on ebay, but the guy wanted $40 and I was too cheap, so I made a set, then a friend said he had a set and is sending them to me.

Since then, I've noticed the 14" do show up relatively frequently on ebay...

Posted on 14 years ago

awesome - thanks for that, Jaye and Rich. I'll probably buy something cheap/generic and kit the workshop. Too bad Slingerland didn't place the spur mounts further down...kinda dumb.

Anybody want to conjecture a value in today's market? How much did you give for your red tiger kit, Rich (if you don't mind saying)? Long story short, my winning bid at the auction was $500; sold one crash cymbal to a guy at the auction for $10 (I think it was a Meinl - didn't look too closely - wish I had, though); then sold the other odd-ball cymbals and an even older Slingy hi-hat stand (pictures of all these are on my flickr site for public viewing) on ebay and got nearly $200 back for all that (probably $170 after paypal and ebay fees). After that, the net expense was low enough to convince the wife to let me keep them...Cool1 thankfully! So I figure I did okay...right?

I was just looking at the 1973 catalog page scans online and totaling up how much everything I've got would have cost new if ordered a la carte like this - coming in somewhere around $550, stands and all, although I couldn't figure out how to determine a price for the floor tom - doesn't look like there's a 16" dia. from the stage band line, so I don't know what they would have charged for a 16" (from the 50N/2R line?) with single center lugs.

Also, anybody know what to make of this snare? Catalog pages say the deluxe student model is 6-lug/12-wire and mine is 8-lug/16, like the Hollywood Ace - but the Ace description says it has a reinforcing ring, which mine does not have. Both have the rapid strainer. So...? weird. And, could you get those models with a chrome outer shell? Would the cost have been the same as the lacquer, or the pearls?

Drums:
Other vintage gear:
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here