Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Set-O-Matic options

Hey everyone. First post so forgive any initial faux pas.

I traded a 16 inch modern bosphorus cymbal for a 1967(?) slingerland silver sparkle (12, 13, 16, 20). The kit is in beautiful condition but was missing the bottom lugs and hoops. It also had the 70's ludwig top mounting system - so there are 4 extra holes drilled in the bass drum - on the toms he used the original holes.

I've got the kit in perfect playing condition with lugs and COB stick savers - now its on to the tom system.

I was looking to ebay to get the Slingerland mounts for the toms and bass - they aren't too expensive.

But oh my gosh the Set O Matic arms system is pricey!

Are there any alternatives that are less than the $170-200 that the set-o-matic arms seem to go for?

Teem60004

Posted on 14 years ago

If you want to go all original, you have no choice but to buy an arm. Especially if you want to use the bass mount, cause of the weird D-shaped receiving hole.

When I got my Star kit, it came with a Slingerland Set-o-matic bass drum mount. I thought, "Great I just need the arm and I'm set." My jaw dropped when I looked them up on ebay. I wanted a double mount too :(.

Anyway, I decided to make the bass drum a born again virgin and use tom stands. I sold the bass mount for just under $17.

I suppose a machine shop could make a post fit your mount. Probably cost as much as a Set-O-Matic arm though.

Posted on 14 years ago

$170 to $200 is ridiculous.... I've never seen them that high... maybe on a BIN price, but not an auction.

Check ebay right now.....

Hurry.... hint, hint........:)

I just got paid..... hint, hint.......:)

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Some one,some time ago said a Slingerland clip-mount has the same footprint as a Set-O-Matic.If I was in this dilema I'd clip mount the toms on a floor stand and either not use the bass drum mount or make a nice delete plate to cover the hole.I have experience with worn out S.O.M.'s-the ball either detaches itself from the rod or the ball becomes so chafed it becomes useless.Certain Slingy hardware is just problematic-like the tom leg recievers stripping out.

Posted on 14 years ago

The Super Set-O Matic runs around $200 but the basic Set-O Matic, which is a basic double T mount, costs less than half that.

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 14 years ago

The Super Set-o-Matic would not be correct for a '67 outfit.......

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here