Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Set-O-Matic modification

Just want to post this to see if there is any interest. In 1982 I came up with a modification for the Set-O-Matic tom holder and presented it to the heads of Slingerland, they loved the idea and modified the holders. It's in the Magnum catalog under the Artist series sets. The modification is the arm that the tom goes on actually can rotate in the Set-O-Matic casting thereby getting more adjustment on the tom. I'm thinking of offering a conversion for people who would wan this adjustment. Anyone interested?

Posted on 12 years ago

Would it apply to the first Generation SOM's too? And is this some type of kit you'd offer or a new part itself? Depending on the cost and how far the mounts get modified, yes I'd be interested. I was going to go to the Super SOM but it would be nice to use the original mounts if possible.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

I'm thinking this would be a modification to your original mount. You send it to me and I would do the conversion. It looks the same but it would have a set screw on the bottom where the roll pin is now to keep the arm from falling out and a wing nut on top to loosen and tighten the rod to adjust the tom. If you go on my sight chicagodrum&restoration.com click on custom projects there is a pic of the modified holder.

Posted on 12 years ago

Sounds pretty cool thanks. I'll take a closer look at my SOM later. I think it does not have roll pins holding the arm extensions though. It the very first version which was 68-69 or so. If that is the case I'll look for a later one to have modified. I saw the single tom version on your site can this be done to the double tom mounts as well?

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

I, too checked out your pics and desc from the site. Please don't take this wrong ... why is the mod necessary? The SOM single tom holder allows for some nice positioning. Anything other than extreme (approaching 90deg) is handled nicely with the SOM as shipped. Is there something about this that I'm not seeing?

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

I know your Q is directed at the OP and the single arm mount..... but in my case with the early dual tom SOM has very limited tom angle with the ball facing out. We're talking almost flat. But good reach towards the rear of the bass to the snare/floor tom. If I spin the mount/ball 180* I have very good angle but it puts both toms a good 2-3" out towards the front. And for me it's a awkward reach for some reason. With the mod as described on the dual tom mount it would allow me much better angle with the toms closest to me. Best of both worlds. But mods are done to a original mount. My old SL kit had the later 70's SOM and that was far less of a problem as I remember. I was never crazy about the SOM's tom position being spoiled with the Rogers setup first. But you adapt I guess. Having each tom able to pivot a bit further is ok with me. I guess the Super SOM was the overall fix for this.

No personal experience with the single tom SOM so I'm not really sure about that one. I guess it's how each of us prefers our setups.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

I figure a pic would show best the space distance. The ball facing in for best angle but puts the toms way out there for me. You can see with the mount the other way it pulls the toms in closer. And allow better angle with that modification. Please excuse the messy room. Not mine!! ;)

1 attachments
Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

This mod is only for the single Set-O-Matic.. Not for the double tom version.

The the rather cumbersome Super Set-O-Matic, did offer some further adjustment but produced other limitations as well..

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 12 years ago

From longjohn

This mod is only for the single Set-O-Matic.. Not for the double tom version.The the rather cumbersome Super Set-O-Matic, did offer some further adjustment but produced other limitations as well..Cheers

Oh...thank you!! I thought it might be for both mount types. Bummer. It would give me a better setup I feel. Takes me a while to catch on and sometimes. ;)

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

It's just offering a little more adjustment should you need it. It works great on a Super SOM. The folks at Slingerland wished they had this from the beginning, but I came to them with this at a time where the Magnum and Spirit lines came out and they were getting rid of SOM parts on the Artist line. Hey, if you broke a head on a gig you could 180 the drum and keep playing!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here