Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 111.62422%

Sesame street flashback!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE[/ame]

Posted on 15 years ago

Great video. This song has one of the deepest pockets--nay, perhaps the deepest pocket--in all of funk. My wife calls it "laying on the butter." Picture a line cook scooping his knife into a giant vat of butter with each downbeat and slapping it down on the bread with each backbeat, and you'll get the idea.

It still amazes me that someone who played drums as his third instrument could lay down a groove this thick. (Granted, Stevie isn't drumming in the video, but just try to tell me that his playing on the studio version isn't the very definition of heavy. Drums are my only instrument, and I struggle to play with as much feel as he does here.)

I love seeing the kids in this video just going nuts over the song. As well they should.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago

I agree, the man is talented! Same thing with higher ground, he kills that too! I actually heard Chad Smith playing the song first which is an awesome version(big Chili Peppers fan) but the original is hard to touch.

Posted on 14 years ago

Really, everything Stevie did from "Talking Book" through to "Songs In The Key Of Life" is untouchable. That's four classic albums in as many years, and one of them was a double LP with a bonus EP thrown in for good measure. All of it is required listening.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago

From section2

Great video. This song has one of the deepest pockets--nay, perhaps [I]I love seeing the kids in this video just going nuts over the song. As well they should.

Man, that would be cool to be able to say, "When I was 6, I hung out with Stevie Wonder on the set of Sesame Street". Come to think of it, that would be a cool thing to say about yourself at ANY age!!!

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here