Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Serial # question

Would a Ludwig blue/olive badge with serial # 1370490 be from 1978 according to http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/serial_numbers.html ? If so,are they as valuable as the early 70s b/o badges? Thanks.

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 15 years ago

No real value difference between early and late 70's B/O badges/drums. After that, they rounded off the two sharp corners of the badge because they were pulling up and cutting people! Because of this slight "flaw" of the original sharp-cornered badge design, I guess the ones that survived intact and un-bent are probably slightly more desirable among collectors than the later ones that started in the 80's....but that's splitting hairs. There is certainly no difference in the sound.

P.S. -just checked teh numbers....Yep, it appears to be from 1978.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

As always, O-Lugs is right on the money. I would only add one slight caveat...check to make sure they are both 3 ply kits/drums. The 1978 B/O badge could be found on many 6 ply kits and quite a few 3 ply kits. I would just double check to ensure it's apples to apples we're talking about.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks, so 3 ply is better than 6 ply? What's the best way to check?

70s Slingy WMP
Posted on 15 years ago

From cnw20

Thanks, so 3 ply is better than 6 ply? What's the best way to check?

No. ... and yes. ... and no.

Ok. So there's no clear answer here.

What you are dealing with is two different types of drums with two different markets. They are both very good drum shells. I prefer the 3 ply but I like the 6 ply quite a bit. The market supports 3 ply shells much better than 6 ply. There is no correct answer to that question. It's very much a "to each his own" response.

If you want to verify which drum shell you have, look for reinforcement rings at the top and bottom of the shell. If you have them, you have a 3 ply shell. If the shell is smooth from top to bottom with no reinforcement rings, you have either a 6 ply or a 4 ply shell. That's all there is to that.......for B/O badged Ludwig drums.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thank you very much, here they are but obviously can't tell from this picture

1 attachments
70s Slingy WMP
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here