Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

serial numbers on xp8 kits

Does anyone,I`m sure someone does.Do you know when Rogers started putting the serial numbers on the Big R tags on the bass,toms,I`m not concerned with the Dynasonic snare so much as I am with the bass and toms,when did they start numbering them and does that indicate where they were made? Also is there a difference in the quality of the shells with nubers versus the older un-numbered shells?Interested as to any change in shell quality,and value.Thanks Gary in Omaha

Posted on 17 years ago

On Day ONE. 1975. Serial numbers continued through the year 1979 on five ply drums. IN 1979 XP8 was introduced, with serial numbers. Serial numbers continued till after the San Luis Mexico venture. Then .......1985-86 numbers were dropped. I dont know exactly when.

Prior to 1975.........

72-75, the 9/72 Fullerton paper tag inside all drums except dynasonics.

68-72, A Rogers Cleveland/Dayton style tag proclaiming Fullerton.

65-68, The Dayton paper tag was present in all drums except dynasonics

63-65, The Cleveland paper tag was present on all drums excepDynasonics

Before the beavertail.......yer gonna have to ask someone who is really an expert.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Per an eBay listing for a Dynasonic snare the seller wrote,the serial numbers on Dynasonic snare drums were dropped sometime after 1981 but before 1985.I really need to buy the book which is always for sale on eBay as I have played Rogers for many years,but never really thought of them as vintage until the last few years.If anyone has this book or any more info on when the serial numbers were started on the Big R kits and when they started the memriloc hardware let me know.I`ve seen a kit lately that had the script logo and the memriloc hardware,unfortunatley the owner said the rack mount went right trough the paper tag on the inside of the bass drum although he says he can see that it is a Fullerton drum.He and I agree with him as it sounds as it is a transitional piece as it has swivo,kick spurs.They apparently did not want to waste any hardware,can`t blame them as the stuff they were making at the time was much more exspensive to produce than the competitors models.Any info would be helpful,Gary

Posted on 17 years ago

I am of the mind that if the mount went through the paper tag, it was changed after the drum shipped. Just my opinion.

Posted on 17 years ago

That could have been a virgin script 9/72 drum that was aftermarket drilled for the memrilock mount. Would be interesting to know if it has the shell support inside. If not........thats a definite butcher job. I have seen one or two Rogers bass drums that were original, and mixed. I have also seen some from the swivo era with mounts punched through the paper tag from the factory.

Posted on 17 years ago

[IMG]http:// HPIM0616[/IMG]Ploughman:Thanks for chiming in,I agree it would be interesting to know for sure,but since it is in ebay,one will likely never know for sure.By the way I`m sick of seeing Rogers kits all stripped down and offered piece by piece.Theses people are just flat greedy.If you would buy some of that stuff,you never know if you have a complete original kit for sure.It really makes me sick to see the Rogers name being parted out that way.If they would take the time to clean up the drums and learn enough about what it is they are selling,they would probably get a higher offer from a true fanatic.I just bought a nice kit from 73 for my daughter,I`ll try to include a pic in this post.I think I did pretty good,just need to find a floor in the same color,but it appears most of the original hardware is included.I also picked up a cheap copy snare from Japan,and will look for a Dynasonic for her when the wallet recovers.Well after 30 minutes here is a picture I think of my set minus the large rack tom,hope this comes through,any computer wizzards want to help me attatch a pic,drop me a line.Gary,well this is my kids new kit that made it.The sibasszes,14 x 22 8 x 12 9 x 13 also needs one bass hoop which is not original,and a few bass tee`s & claws,for now I can borrow some from another similar era project I have in the works.

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Here is a picture of my xp8`s minus the large rack tom,very good shape,with a Big R Dynasonic snare,still need to upgrade cymbals,but there is only so much money left in the account.I need to stay off ebay and pay some bills.Have a great weekend,keep on rockin.Gary By the way I just landed a Swivo kick pedal in pristine shape as well as a hi-hat from the same era also in great shape.

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Good luck in your search. It will come to you.

My blue glitter 20-12-16, 1966, flat gray dayton kit had a recent additon of a 14x14, also flat gray dayton, and 1966, within 100 digits of my serial number range. And 300.00. All I need now are 14" era correct hoops. They will come.

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks Longroll:That answer clears up a few things,my xp8`s are 1979,clear interiors,no re-rings.They sound fantastic,I ended up with the whole kit from the second owner,it is the Londoner Seven configuration,although I usually gig just 5 piece,due to the club we play is very small.I have no need to mike them,as they cut through just fine.I have also aquired from a local drum shop a pristine Big R 5 line Dynasonic with the snare rack included,after a little work getting the snare strand,and rack centered,and tensioned properly,with the help of a copy of the original recomended tuning tips from Rogers,and I truly believe this is critical,I`ve not had to mess with it much at all.It has a great pop,and cuts like a sharp knife,and is the same from side to side center to edge.Back to your answer it will help as I was not aware that they made some five ply shells in the Big R line.Thanks again,this site has given me a great wealth of info on the Rogers line,a great brand that was much overlooked,untill lately.All you have to do is look at ebay,and the way some people strip these great drums and try to sell them piece,by,piece just to see if they can make an extra buck or two.I`ve been real lucky,likely due to having played these great drums for over 30 years.although I`ll admit I just played them and didn`t pay much attention to some of the subtle details.I`ve landed a great set of XP8`s and a partial kit from 73 pacific blue for my daughter,as she has shown a good amount of interest and ability.I look at it this way,if she doesn`t keep up with it I`ll end up with a great practice kit.Thanks again.

Gary VF from Omaha

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here