Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Selling Vintage Drums

I am looking for some advice on how to raise some money by selling a vintage drum set to pay for another set that I bought. I currently own a mid to late 1960's Ludwig Classic drum set in Champagne Sparkle. It is in the Hollywood configuration (based on the info I got off of Clayton Greene scanned library). 22"-16"-13"-12" with an older style separate double tom stand. Bass Drum has only a mount for a L arm Cymbal Holder - no L arm. I have a snare that I bought separately in matching color, it is a pre-serial number keystone badge, red felt muffler, nickel (I think), Pioneer (I think) snare that is all original, including the heads. The Hi Hat, Cymbal stand & Bass Drum Pedal are add ons. The drums are nice but the floor tom & the 13" has inch marks in the wrap. These are not museum quality drums for sure, but they are overall nice drums.

Here is my question/dilemma - what is the best way to sell these drums to maximize the money I get. Sell it together as a kit (not totally complete). Or piece out each unit?

Posted on 17 years ago

Here are a couple more pictures to evaluate, you can see the marks on the floor tom. I thought that I could get somewhere around $800 maybe as much as $1,000. The serial numbers on the badges are 12"- 234753, 13" - 348856, floor -348581, bass drum - at my friends house.

Posted on 17 years ago

Look on eBay for completed auctions under advanced search. You'll get an idea of pricing and shipping costs. You can get the whole set in 1 box if you take off one head each and nest the drums. It is a very nice looking set and you should be able to get a good price for them. You can also sell them on consignment at some music stores but that usually means a 20% fee.

Regards,

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

Gary, Thank you for the reply - I would definitely EBAY them, and based on your answer, I take it that you would think it is better to sell them together as a set rather than individually. Would you say that is right?

Thanks Mike L

Posted on 17 years ago

Gary,

I guess I got the answer by scanning the posts on one of the other forums, there is quite a discussion on the unkind practice of breaking up a set. I won't break up my Ludwig family, hopefully they will go to a good home and pay the rent for the new Rogers family that I have adopted. So much for social services & friend of the court!

Thanks for the response. Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

I wish I had room for another kit. Yours looks sharp. What are you replacing it with? Ludwig has reissued a champagne 4 piece classic set that I've heard is doing well. Same as yours minus the 12". So there will definitely be a bid for your kit.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Posted on 17 years ago

Gary,

Thanks, I bought a what I think is a late 60's or early 70's vintage Rogers drumset off of Ebay, what I hope is an early Fullerton Rogers Holiday drum set in the same sizes 22-16-13-12, minus the snare in gold sparkle finish. The seller told me that the drums all had paper tags with that read

Holiday , Fullerton, CA. The floor tom had a s/n 23100 & the 12" had 24108. He did not want to dis assemble the heads to check the other drums. But he said that all had the tags and were grey speckled interiors. I paid $610 for the drums.

I am not sure if I made a mistake, but, now I am committed. So it gives me a project to work on. I really like the sparkle wraps (not from a collector/value point of view, but I just think that wrap looks cool). And I like the Champagne Sparkle, Gold Sparkle & Silver Sparkle in particular, although the Green Glitter would really stand out for sure too.

I can't wait now to get the drums to find out exactly what I got. And start looking for stuff to complete the kit. The drums look real nice and have a vintage look like the Ludwigs, which I really do like, but I can only keep 1 of these kits, so I guess I am going to part with the Ludwigs to take on the new challenge of the Rogers.

I bought the Ludwig drums together with the tom stand 3 years ago from Back Beat Drums in Idaho for $800. I added the snare for $250 from an Ebay auction and pretty much got most of the pieces in place for a Ludwig Hollywood kit. It is fun to be on a project and rewarding to put one together. So now I will try to do the same with Rogers.

I will make mention of the auction here when I put in up on Ebay, I generally put in a Buy It NOw price that is a good deal for me and for the buyer. Unfortunately, I have to sell the kit, to finance the other.

I'll follow up with a post, but in the meantime if anyone can identify the name of the drumset that I did end up buying, I would love to know, see pics below.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Mike...

These look like the "Dave Clark Londoner" model, with the addition of a 22" bass drum in place of the cataloged 20", and missing the Powertone snare drum. ( the COB Dynasonic was available as an option on this model ) This was the only 5 piece configuration that Rogers cataloged... and the kit continued into the 70's, but without the Dave Clark name. It was then known simply as the "Londoner V".

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Tommy,

Thanks, I was going to hit you up with that question, but you already took care of it...I did see that kit illustrated in the Rogers Book and thought that it was the same, until I noticed the 20" BD. But this makes me feel good about what I bought, that I can at least identify and place it in context.

Do you have enough information to put an approximate year on this set? I did send an email about a COB Dyna Sonic Snare that I found/bought for this kit dated around 1970.

I had a question about the Dyna Sonic 6 1/2 inch shell vs the standard 5 inch shell. What is the pro/con between the 2. I, for some reason, am wanting to get a Big R 6 1/2 inch Dyna Sonic for that 1976 Londoner kit. I have it in my mind that they better or more difficult to find or have a bigger sound. Any comments from anyone on this question?

Many thanks for all the help too.

Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

I'll let a Rogers expert talk about the relative value between sizes. For 6 1/2 vs 5 in general: deeper drums sound deeper. You should go into the local store and take a couple of snares in the drum room and try them out. I am pretty much a 5x14 guy. I don't like the real shallow ones (3 1/2), the ratio of tone to snare is not where I like it.

Going in the other direction, a deeper drum will give you more tone in the mix. Some say you give up snare response and I guess you must to some extent but I don't think it is to a level that is obtrusive. It really depends on the drum. Sometimes I use a field drum (10x14) as my main snare becuase the sound is so unique and the snare response is definitely good enough. I do think a drum like that has to be struck harder to get to the sweet spot in terms of optimal back beat sound, so I would not bring it to a dinner party. But rock/bar gig, heck, why not?

I do a lot of second line as well as funk and rock all in the same setting and the 5 works for me. I'm a bit set in my ways, but I don't think a 6 1/2 is going to present any problems in most playing situations.

So try some out to see what you like and go for it.

The new kit is very nice by the way and the guys on this site rave about Rogers. I have a couple of Rogers snares en route and I've never played one before.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here