Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Seeking plastic lug for Ludwig Standard snare

Hi, all - does anybody have a spare lug for a 60s/70s Ludwig Standard snare? I'm looking for the plastic/composite ones. I didn't know they were plastic until one broke in half. I ordered a metal one, and the hole spacing is different.

Thanks! -Tom

Posted on 6 years ago

Could you provide a pic for the drum/lug?

Mike

Posted on 6 years ago

Sure, here you go...

2 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Here's the drum.

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think they're plastic. It looks like it was just a casting that had a crack, and it just gave way under tension.

Posted on 6 years ago

I've got plastic lugs on my Ludwig Vistalite Combo kit and my Educator kit. I've seen one Acrolite with plastic lugs. I have not seen a Standard with plastic though. Would be really neat if it was.

Mike

Posted on 6 years ago

I think they are cheaper pot-metal, not plastic. I'm not sure, but maybe it's Rockers lugs vs Standard lugs that don't have the same hole spacing. Can anybody confirm?

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 6 years ago

These definitely seem like a plastic/composite. I ordered a Standard replacement lug, and it weighs many times what the original weighed - and it didn't fit.

I'm bummed, because this snare sounds better than just about anything in my collection!

Posted on 6 years ago

From rusticdrummer

These definitely seem like a plastic/composite. I ordered a Standard replacement lug, and it weighs many times what the original weighed - and it didn't fit. I'm bummed, because this snare sounds better than just about anything in my collection!

I've also never seen a plastic/composite Standard/Rocker lug. I'm not even aware that they are available to order. Where did you order it from? All these lugs (Imperial, Classic, Standard, Rocker) all use a hole-to-hole spacing of 2-3/16". Can you post a picture of the lug you ordered?

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

Like funkypoodle mentioned, there is a standard/rocker lug(s) that look much the same but have a slightly different hole pattern. Other than that, most all of the snare lugs are the same like Mark mentioned. The plastic lugs were never an option that I have ever seen. I think on the Acro that I know of and maybe this Standard that Tom has, they were simply experimental/ cost cutting. I do not think you are going to have problems finding another lug. I just think it needs to come from a Standard snare like yours and not a Rocker snare possibly.

Mike

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here