Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Screwed Again? Need HELP

Although I have been a drummer for a long time, I do not pretend to be an expert on drum manufacturing. I have been rebuilding drums for a while, trying to carefully buy parts on EBay.

IT ANGERS ME TO SEE DRUMMERS SELLING BADGES ON EBAY. Nonetheless, I bought what was advertised as a Slingerland COB snare shell. It arrived the other day.

FIRST - inside was a made in Taiwan sticker. I am not sure if Slingerlands were made there, but, nonetheless - let's proceed.

SECOND. the typical 70's and on Slingerland lugs do not fit on this drum. It was my understanding that Slingerland kept the design of the lugs and the thickness of the holes through all their more modern (after 1960) snare drums.

THIRD - there is not crimped bed in the snare. Did Slingerland make chrome snares without beds?

FINALLY - the badge, although perfect on the outside, when viewed from the inside has something peculiar. I have noticed that factory grommets are usually perfect ont he inside. This grommet has 2 cracks on the inside.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME??

IS THIS A FAKE?

Posted on 15 years ago

Pics? Mainly of the badge, inside and out, as well as the shell. I'm sure someone will let you know, but it's tough without seeing it.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Sounds like grounds for a refund. Guessing the badge was put on a POS shell. Is the shell steel, brass or ? What should this model Slingerland have for shell construction?

Hope you used Paypal.

Posted on 15 years ago

From vibeguy56

IT ANGERS ME TO SEE DRUMMERS SELLING BADGES ON EBAY. Nonetheless, I bought what was advertised as a Slingerland COB snare shell. IS THIS A FAKE?

Hey there, vibeguy !

Sounds like you've been had, buddy. You're certainly not the first, and you won't be the last. There are more and more shady characters hustling their crap on ePrey. Especially 'round the holiday seasons.

Although I'm not well-versed enough with Slingerland to know off-hand, I do believe there were shells being made overseas for Slingerland, but it would seem that they would be patterned to fit Slingerland's hardware. Unless all of that, too, was being sweat-shopped for them...

What usually gets my goat is when someone takes what is obviously a complete drum set, and they list it and sell it in separate pieces. Greed. Stupid, selfish greed.

Sounds like the badge on your drum was a home job. There's a punch made for installing the grommets, and if it doesn't look "factory," I'd assume it isn't. Seems like someone has gone through a little bit of trouble to make this drum appear as a Slingerland. That's fraud. Straight and simple.

Lay the shell on a glass table or countertop. The snare beds are often so subtle, that you may not see 'em just by looking. On a true surface, you should see at least a small gap where the beds are supposed to be...

Vibeguy, brother, I'd not hesitate to bring this matter up with the eBay authorities and make the seller have to explain. If you, the buyer, are not happy or are suspicious, put the ball in their court. Don't wait.

Best of luck, my friend.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks to ALL of you great guys for your help. I am holding off on this guys feedback, because, if he did screw me, I will make sure I tag his ass good. NONETHELESS, I will post pics and check out the drum. This snare - being chrome, should have crimped beds, as far as I know.

BY THE WAY - The guys that sell the drum sets piece by piece are a botch above the scum who strip a perfectly good drum set to the friggin washers, and sell the drums and then the parts.

thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

Lay the shell on a glass table or countertop. The snare beds are often so subtle, that you may not see 'em just by looking. On a true surface, you should see at least a small gap where the beds are supposed to be...

You were right - the snare bed was very subtle. It is chrome on brass, (I assume on brass) because a magnet sticks. Of course, it could be some other cheap metal.

I was going to rebuild this with TDR parts and sell as a Slingerland fitted with TDR snare system,but, unless I KNOW it is Slingerland - I will not sell under that name. If it is not, I may still fix with cheaper hardware and sell as a beginner drum. In that case- I will removethe badge and mount it next to my 1930 Ludwig badge!

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey, vibeguy !

If a magnet sticks to that puppy, she's chrome over STEEL. Brass, bronze, and copper aren't magnetic.

Not that some steel-shell drums aren't bad, but they're generally not much sought-after.

If you don't have too much invested in this shell already, you might not want to put much more into it. There are too many questions surrounding it already.

I'd press the seller to explain how he tagged it as a Slingerland in the first place, and why it simply isn't obvious or can't be found anywhere on the shell. The home-style installation of the badge doesn't mean the badge ever really belonged to that shell. You could put just about any badge on a shell.

Ask him why Slingerland lug casings won't fit it. Ask him for some sort of documentation or a catalog by which he identified it as a Slingerland. Ask him to visit this site and read this and other related threads.

Just remember, the longer you hold your tongue, the weaker your argument will be. I think the guy took you for a ride, brother. Get your money back and save it for a better deal.

Dig it !

Posted on 15 years ago

Well, I did not pay much for it, but it is the principle of the matter. Do you know for sure that Slingerland ever used Chrome over steel? Well,I onlypaidabout 30 bucks for it, andI have a few other parts here so I can put it together and make a reasonably good snare drum for some kid, but, as I said, the badge has to come off.

I will keep you updated.

Posted on 15 years ago

A quick glance in "The Slingerland Book" by Rob Cook would indicate that Slingerland made many chrome over steel drums.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

THANKS

I do not have that book. Can you tell me - did they make shells in taiwan? did they make metal shells without the traditional crimped bed?

I need to get that book!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here