Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Scarf or no scarf

So Contrary to some belief my 69’s April 2 are scarfed so it goes to show you they were still doing it in 1969 of April

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

Do you mean the wrap is tucked into the scarf joint? That's surprising if that's what you mean. My '69 kit has shells that don't have the wrap tucked into the scarf joint on any of the shells.

But, just to clarify...ALL Ludwig 3-ply shells have scarf joints.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Yes mine are tucked in as of 04/02/1969

Maybe some of the last done before that major change in production design.

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

This is more proof that, in drum manufacturing history, the exception WAS the rule.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

I don't believe this is an exception at all. A '68/'69 transition seems to be commonly accepted.

Posted on 2 years ago

The ? Is is mine kit one of the last of the Mohicans?

1967 super classic obp

Posted on 2 years ago

Hers a thought: a bunch of shells are glued up and they get stamped at final inspection or assembly.

(It would also explain the similar overlap with badge styles)

I ordered my blue kit new and date codes vary from 1980 to 1989…

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 2 years ago

That would not account for badges installed , also

this is the end of the line for old keystone

There is a change of wood also , so why was scarf discontinued is it still there but hidden in new process ?

1967 super classic obp

Posted on 2 years ago

Saying the wrap is tucked into the scarf joint is a bit of a misnomer. They started with a flat piece of plywood to which they glued the wrap. The bevel cuts for the scarf were made and then the plywood was bent into a shell. Because of this, the wrap is integrated into the scarf joint.

As far as why some shells have wrap in the scarf and some don't, I think the most likely case is that this was in the days well before "just in time" manufacturing. Back then they made large runs of drum shells that would sit for quite some time. This was necessary because of the fact that the wrap was integrated into the shell when it was made. They would do large runs of each finish to give them enough shells to build drum kits for some period of time. It could have been a week's worth or it could have been a month's worth. Or even more.

Ludwig didn't seem to do a great job of "rotating their stock". We all have seen how Ludwig didn't waste anything and would put much earlier parts that must have been kicking around the warehouse for years and someone found them and used them rather than scrapping them. This would easily explain why there would be some shells with the wrap in the scarf joint and some without even though they had officially stopped that practice.

So earlier shells would make there way into finished drums for some period of time, probably for a year or two.

Once they stopped integrating the wrap, they could just make a bunch of shells, pick the required sizes, wrap and then build finished drums. This seems much more efficient and probably made life easier for them.

Posted on 2 years ago

Your forgetting one thing it’s maple

1967 super classic obp

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here