Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Scarcity & Value Of 14 Inch Floor Toms

It appears that all of the vintage American drum manufacturers of the 1960s offered kits in configurations featuring 14 inch floor toms. I guess most were considered "jazz kits", although Ludwig had its unique "Downbeat" model kits.

I've noticed that, generally speaking, the 14 inch floor tom appears to be somewhat less readily available than its 16 inch counterpart. It also seems that it'sconsidered more "desirable" to active players and collectors alike. Would you agree?

Also, was there one specific American manufacturer that produced more 14 inch floor toms than the others during this era?

I'd also like to know whether there are specific makes, models and/or wraps that bring significantly more in return when offered for sale?

Any "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!:)

Posted on 15 years ago

I've noticed this to. I'm always looking for 14 inch floor-tom sets. I think Ludwig made the most.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

14x14s are hard to find, and go for premium dollars.

Highest ebay price on a Rogers 14x14 was 1475.00. I think that one was in silver sparkle.

I recently lost out on one in Red Ripple that I was outbid on around 1200.00.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

From The Ploughman

14x14s are hard to find, and go for premium dollars. Highest ebay price on a Rogers 14x14 was 1475.00. I think that one was in silver sparkle. I recently lost out on one in Red Ripple that I was outbid on around 1200.00.

$ 1200 , while not a bargain , is a nice price for that rare birdy .

As I wrote in another thread , the guy who bought my pristine 20/14/12 has it for sale if anybody here is interested . He never played it .

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 15 years ago

From The Ploughman

14x14s are hard to find, and go for premium dollars. Highest ebay price on a Rogers 14x14 was 1475.00. I think that one was in silver sparkle. I recently lost out on one in Red Ripple that I was outbid on around 1200.00.

Thats pretty right on the track..14x14 are hard to fine.For me ludwigs are rare but you can still fine them[ludwig to me made the most]..But when it comes to rogers or camco they are very rare to fine and go for alot of money.Color has alot to do with the price.common colors say 500.00-750.00 but pearl fininshes are double that price...mike

Posted on 15 years ago

Ludwig made more drum sets than anyone else. So, just for that reason, I would say that Ludwig 14 X 14's are most common. That's my guess, anyway.

However....

Gretsch jazz configurations are probably most desirable because Gretsch are more associated with the acoustic jazz style and also to the famous jazz drummers. And since Grestch was making more jazz sized kits than anyone else there for awhile, those two brands may be closer in terms of production of 14 X 14's than not.

The most common Ludwig configuration over the years has been the Super Classic, I think. That's why 16 X 16's are most common among floor tom sizes. It seems to be the size that is standard for a floor tom. Why? I have no idea.

Rare finishes up the value of any size drum. So a rare finish in a rare size is even more desirable to collectors.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Nothing approaches the scarcity of Rogers 14x14's, though. Ludwigs you see...as well as Gretsch and Slingys. I mean, you can peg a whole drum for the $150-300 range...or just a shell in the $75-150 range. But Rogers are insane.....

The other Mfr's used 14x14's with their 20" bass setups...but Rogers standard 20" bass setup usualy still used a 16, even with a 12" rack....so....

Thus the insanity....it's crazy, really....

Sometimes it gets to the point where, if a client of mine really wants a 14x14 but they or I just cannot peg that eBay one due to competition or ridiculous pricing, I will just suggest they have Precisiondrum.com make them a near-perfect repro with their thin-ply mahogany or maple shells...because sometimes it comes out way cheaper and it is as close as one can get to the original. They can actually do a reproduction ring and bearing edge to the tee of the original mfr's.

This usually only happens on the 14x14's...sometimes on 14x18 bass drums, too....

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Big R era 14x14 Floor toms on legs or mounted, are limited to the last year of XP8 production, and are therefore, the rarest of the Rogers 14x14 drums. Throughout the 70s, Rogers did not make 14x14s, only a 10x14. The XP8 drums, while rarer than the 60s drums, do not command the same high prices.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

THANKS for the feedback to date!

Are the Rogers "onyx" finishes in the 14 x 14 configuration considered more "collectible" than most of the company's other wraps?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here