Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

saving what is left of paint on a '59 singerland

I am the proud owner of a 59 Singerland kit that we brought in when I was a kid at a garage sale.

10 years ago it was in my basement when there was a flood and it ended up sitting in some water for around 30 minutes. I got the heads off and dried things out, and just recently have got it put back together.

My issue is that there is a lot of paint that is flaking off.

It is not all original, some of the rims have been replaced and the tom hangs off a cymbal stand. But I do not want to refinish it, it took 60 years to look this good and I am not going to mess that up. I am setting it up at my piano player's studio and he is not excited about the steady drizzle of black flakes all over his floor.

What can I do that is minimally visually impactful that will keep it from shedding? I was thinking of hitting it with some 400 grit sand paper so anything that is loose comes of, then maybe a nice tung oil rub on the bare wood patches?

Also do you think that there is lead in the paint flakes?

Please feel free to point me to existing threads, and thanks in advance for your advice

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

About all you could do is spray some rattle can lacquer over it to try and seal the old paint in. But it will continue to flake, just not as much.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Yes what Jeff says will slow it down from flaking... It's always going to be a nice old drum kit.. but why not give it a birthday present and completely re laquer to the same finish.. It'll keep you out of trouble for while..

Piano player will be happy too..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

Im 99.9% sure there is lead in that paint.

Good luck!

Curtis

Posted on 9 years ago

I got a test kit and was unable to find any trace of lead in the paint, I am not as concerned about the chips now. I think I am going to start with the super light sanding, just to get the flakes of that want to come. See where I end up and hold off on the overspray.

thanks everyone for responding

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for posting the test results. Paint brush will knock the loose bits off without scratching what remains.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

I like Crieghtons idea with the brush. Sanding sounds too rough, just get the very loose flakes off. If you do spray any type of finish, at least clean the shell with some mild solvent to remove any grease or oil first.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

maybe a scrub brush with medium bristles. I will try a small spot first.

Posted on 9 years ago

Just noticed Welcome to the forum is in order!

I wouldn't spray those with anything. Any finish will seal the exposed wood and coat the surviving paint. The original finish is gone at that point.

Bit of a fire issue here but if enough light in the am will post a pic of a same era Slingerland timbale that doesn't shed chips and happy I just left it as is.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here