Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Santa's Coming A Little Early This Year!

I'm expecting an early Christmas present next week in the form of a Gretsch Progressive Jazz snare drum. I'm really looking forward to adding this one to my vintage snare collection!

The drum's in its original White Satin Flame wrap so I'm expecting the usual scrapes and scratches quite common to the satin finishes. I'm also anticipating that the wrap will need a good cleaning. This is where I'd like some input from any of you who've actually done a thorough cleaning of a vintage satin flame wrap.

What I'm trying to avoid are phrases such as: "I think this might work" or "I've heard this is a good idea" or "I might try this". I'd like to find out what actually DOES IN FACT work and what I should DEFINITELY AVOID using when cleaning the satin wrap.

I've done quite a bit of research and the three most popular "suggestions" have been the following:

1. Scrubbing Bubbles;

2. Windex & Dusting Cloths; and

3. Zep Bio Degreaser followed by Armor-All

I'm obviously trying to stay away from a "hit or miss" approach here, if at all possible. I'd like to do a thorough cleaning of the wrap, utilizing a proven cleaning procedure that wouldn't damage the wrap in any way.

As usual, thanks in advance for your time and your feedback.

BTW..........I hope everyone had a great "Turkey Day" yesterday!Excited

Posted on 14 years ago

When it comes to wraps, you really can't go wrong with Windex and cloths, or armoral cleaner then protectant.

Posted on 14 years ago

My 2 cents but i would never put armoural on anything i liked... it is the main reason dashboards crack, and if it does that to plastic dashboards i do not think it would be good for a vintage drum... Windex soft cloths and a polish with appliance cleaner and wax ,made by the fuller brush company it is the best wrap cleaner and polisher i have ever used bar none...

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here