Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Same old crack/seam in the wrap - advice badly needed (teardrop kit)

I've got this teardrop kit in red pearl and the wrapt on the bass drum has a seam by the cmbal arm mounting bracket. It's about 2cm in lenght. I wonder if I coud do something smart to fix it and am a bit worried about it getting bigger in time. What's your suggestion, should I try something or just try and live with it?

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

If you can rock it back and forth and see the crack move I don't like it. You have to use your judgement as to whether it's an accident waiting to happen.

One thought would be to use a thin piece of something (1/8" ply?) for a reinforcement patch on the inside, providing there was extra length in everything to accommodate the extra 1/8".

They have bigger plates on the holders designed by Rogers and others to prevent exactly this.

Posted on 14 years ago

This is a crack in the wrap,yes?.... not the shell?

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

well I've disassembled it and it looks like this. even though the hole is not pretty the shell seems not to be really cracked, just the wrap. I'm thinking of injecting some adhesive under the part which can be lifted a bit and then painting the shell with some matching red laquer to make it less obtrusive. Mastro, you were saying to use a wood patch on the inside of the shell or a wrap patch just under the seam?

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

I was thinking inside the shell but seeing the inside portion of the cymbal mount it looks like there's ample support.

Could you lift the wrap up a miniscule amount and get some crazy glue in there?

Maybe use Sharpie pens to cosmetically hide it after... hillbilly I know but if it works why not.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Nope..that's the standard fix..if you can lift the wrap enough to get some glue under there, do that (but the trick is you ahve to get off the old residue first...then just use a marking pen to hide the tear as much as possible. Or, as was suggested, somehow try to find a larger plate to cover it.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I'd rather use a Sharpie pencil with an almost matching colour, or cut out a fitting (! - I don't mean a bigger piece!) very small piece of the wrap (take it from anywhere at the side of the shell, where the head is anyway covering it) and glue it thereon. That's tricky, but the Sharpie will work nearly as well, as the 'grain' structure has the same direction.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here