Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Salvaging wrap from damaged drum

I have recently acquired a 12-14-20 Slingerland era Leedy kit in Sparkling Pink Pearl. The 14 and 20 are in great shape though somewhat faded. The 12, unfortuneatly, is fairly trashed - inner ply split apparently due to a poorly executed modification which also resulted in 2 extra holes in the shell.

As I suspect it will be nearly impossible to find a replacement tom in this color, I was wondering how difficult it might be to remove the wrap and re-use it on another Leedy tom. I'm sure I'm not the first to consider this option, and was hoping someone could provide some input based on your experiences.

Alternately, I recall hearing of a company that will do custom colors, and am wondering if they could possibly match the wrap. What was the name of that company?

Posted on 15 years ago

Drummaker has it in stock I think Jamin Sams might have it also.

Posted on 15 years ago

Post a pic of the interior of the 12" shell...it might be better to try to repair it with the wrap on it. Removing the wrap and putting on another shell sounds possible...but...those older wraps tend to shrink, so it may not line up with the holes on a "found" shell...and it would still have extra holes.

One possibility would be to save the original shell, rob the hardware, get a keller shell, and have it wrapped with the color match thing from drummaker.com.

The current pink sparkles available won't match that well, but maybe they can get a glass glitter and have it tinted to match.

Both those options seem, to me, a bit exhaustive and pricey...the "damage" to your shell doesn't seem so bad.

BTW, I have Leedy "Shelly Manne" snare in faded pink sparkle that sounds like it would be a cool match for your set!

[email]rkalinsky@aol.com[/email]

Posted on 15 years ago

What could one possibly do to repair the split inner ply? Perhaps a filler of some sort? How much will this affect the drum's resonance?

The thought of fixing what I've already got hadn't occured to me, as I considered that the drum wasn't playable. Perhaps I ought to take a drumstick to it before making a rash decision. If it can be made playable, I'd be content until a replacement came along, even if it takes years!

I'll try to post some pics soon, though my schedule's pretty hectic these next few days, as I'll be gigging out of town.

Posted on 15 years ago

It's very common for Slingerland drums to have some splits on the inner ply of the shell. It should have no effect on the sound or even the value...

You could use some filler, but there's really no reason to unless it's pretty severe.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]As suggested earlier, post a pic of the shell....it may not be an difficult repair. Other than that, the Drummaker.com custom color wraps is the only way to get a close match...and they have a 3-sheet minimum order (however, if you are gonna go that route, I'd be happy to split the order with you and take 2 sheets, while you just pay for the one sheet you will use). Also you gotta determine if this stuff is a glitter or a sparkle. I believe Drummaker only does glitters and pearls/swirls, not sparkles.

Pulling old wrap off a drum and saving it...it requires a hella lotta luck, really.

McJ managed to do it with a set of '70's Luddies...the silver sparkle had faded to white....and he got it all of flawlessly; then he sent it to ME...which is cool because it really LOOKS like old white sparkle. Am trying to acquire the shells to finish off this project.

I also managed to do it successfully once with a 16x16 WMP '70's Luddy FT. I dunno what happened to that drum but the glue was so dry and dried out that it almost literally came off just by pulling it gently off the shell. I managed to cut away the parts with the holes in it and I used the rmaining part to wrap an 8x12 Luddy tom....to match an orphan bass drum which had the exact same Luddy WMP in the almost exact same fade. It was a damn lucky...convergence..... that's all.....Cool Dude

However, Pearls tend to come off easier than sparkles or glitters.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here