Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Safir drums anyone?

Hi

I came across these on a Swedish auction site. Has anybody heard about these before. The seller claims they´re named Safir and are from the 80´s. They look so nice in that copper/golden sparkle! The clip mounts seem kind of lame and resembles something I´ve seen on some cheap Pearls many years ago. Could they be Japanese?

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]VERY interesting set. lt could be an old Japanese - it has some of those elements - but the lugs don't jump out at me as being a typical old Japanese style. So it could also be maybe an Eastern European :confused: Do you have a photo of the inside of the shells ? That would help a lot. lt is a very cool set ![/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

They may be Japanese, but they are at the high end of the scale for sure. All the hardware suggests heft and quality. Let's see what Ralf chimes in to say? I would say Star by looking at the end caps on the rail, and they did make some plain, non-descript lugs that resemble those. At any rate, they are hot looking. Did you buy them? If the price is right, I would have to bid on them, if I were in the area, they are too clean to let go.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi All, That set of drums is one of the first sets made for a man of the name of Woody Cooper of Cooper Drums in garden grove,ca.Hes the man that started to inport sets made by pearl in 1960..Set is a 1969-70 American Custom set made by pearl he used that name A.C. as the last inport set he sold...More about mr.cooper in the other post"oldest pearl set" Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thanks for all the info! I bought the kit yesterday, so I will probably get within a few days. I´ll post some detailed pics in this thread. I paid ca 250 USD (keep in mind that most vintage drums are rarer and therefore more expensive here). Or maybe I was ripped off... Anyway, they look too cool to let pass.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's a good price, regardless of the quality, actually. We look forward to the photos ![/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I finally got the drums! Below are some pics of the kit. The first thing that struck me was the "badge"; it´s a sticker. Could it be a "no name" kit that someone, at one point, threw some stickers on? Some of the hardware says "Made in Japan", implying that that´s where they were made.

They seem solid enough and are in decent condition. I´m not so good at identifing wood types, but it looks like the same wood I had in an old Pearl Export many years ago. Luan? Philipine mahogany?

Unfortunately, the bass drum spurs are missing, but I suspect it´s a fairly easy task finding some that will match. The heads are in terrible condition so I have no clue as to how they might sound, but that´s not very important for this kit. I just loved the sparkle (which is in very good condition).

One final thought: why would anyone name something "Safir", and then print a GREY sticker? Beats me.

5 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here