Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Sacrilige or practicality

I am waiting on delivery of a Circa. 1950's WFL 22 x 14 Bass Drum.

It is essentially a virgin drum with an old unidentified tom or cymbal mount facing vertically on the right hand side and no bass drum spurs except for a primitive fitting which appears from the pictures to be only on one side, other than that the drum appears to be in very good condition, not much fade on the WMP wrap, the hardware is in good shape and the hoops and inlay appear to be good.

Now to the point my dilemma is that I been thinking of putting 1960's Ludwig folding spurs on (I was thinking of hoop mounted spurs but I am concerned about the stress on the hoop). I was also thinking of putting on a 1960's rail mount or worse still a 1970's tubular double tom holder. The question is: to drill or not to drill or to pull out the trusty snare drum stand for the hanging tom.

Any comments?

cheers,

D_rummer

Posted on 16 years ago

I say no to drilling! I think hoop mounted spurs work fine. I would use a bass drum anchor on the front to keep the drum in place as well.

I would also advise using a tom on a snare stand. A good clean original white WMP bass drum from any company from back then is a rare find. The value will go way down if you drill. Just my two cents.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

STEP AWAY FROM THE DRILL!!! Easy...easy...no funny stuff...just put the drill down...easy...

LOL!!!

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

I concur. The answer is NO!Mister T

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I use a modern clamp on bracket on my left crash cymbal stand for my 12" tom. The tom has a rims mount. For the bass drum, use rim mount spurs and a Ringo type spur if necessary. If you use a modern bass drum pedal with spurs you should be fine as far as creep goes.

Don't drill, you'll regret it.

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here